Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshuadnash
Regular Visitor

Refresh Now not working

Refresh Now button is not working in Office 365 app. The Last Refresh does not update. NOTE: The scheduled refresh does work.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@joshuadnash Where are you clicking "Refresh Now". This is a bit mis-leading, as this feature will only update your dashboard, or report from the existing dataset in the Service. It will NOT initiate a refresh for the dataset in the same manner as a scheduled refresh. If you care clicking on the dataset, refresh now, should do that and either you've exceeded your 8x per day refresh, or something is broken.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

@Anonymous My understanding is that you get 8x per day of refreshing the dataset in the service, this also applies to APIs, so my assumption is that initiating any sort of refresh (scheduled or manual) in the service has that limit.

If you had power users that could download the file, and initiate a refresh in the desktop, that is not the same because you would be extracting the info locally, so it should work if that is how you wanted to do it.

Your other option, would be to change the connection type (you mention database) if your source supports Direct Query, you wouldn't have to schedule a refresh. There are considerations in that though, not least of which would be that you would most likely need to rebuild the report. I actually just posted by Direct Query blog today, you can check it out here if your interested.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@joshuadnash Where are you clicking "Refresh Now". This is a bit mis-leading, as this feature will only update your dashboard, or report from the existing dataset in the Service. It will NOT initiate a refresh for the dataset in the same manner as a scheduled refresh. If you care clicking on the dataset, refresh now, should do that and either you've exceeded your 8x per day refresh, or something is broken.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe we discovered this also by accident. Didn't raealize the limit until I read your post.

So if your scheduled to refresh a dataset, say - 4 times a day, and several people go in and refresh the same App six times then two of your scheduled refreshes will fail - is that correct?

And a question - could we get around this for some power users if they had access to the report file and ran the desktop version against the database instead of the web based PBI?

Thanks in advance,

K

@Anonymous My understanding is that you get 8x per day of refreshing the dataset in the service, this also applies to APIs, so my assumption is that initiating any sort of refresh (scheduled or manual) in the service has that limit.

If you had power users that could download the file, and initiate a refresh in the desktop, that is not the same because you would be extracting the info locally, so it should work if that is how you wanted to do it.

Your other option, would be to change the connection type (you mention database) if your source supports Direct Query, you wouldn't have to schedule a refresh. There are considerations in that though, not least of which would be that you would most likely need to rebuild the report. I actually just posted by Direct Query blog today, you can check it out here if your interested.

The 'Refresh Now' function did seem to work in the past. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the data (no errors have been receieved), as the scheduled refresh is working.Is there a specific way we could diagnose the issue? We've attempted a manual refresh once a day after the scheduled refresh over the past week, but it doesn't seem to work. 

@joshuadnash Outside of the following recommendations I don't know.

Make sure you are on the latest version of the gateway.

Check the gateway log files to see if there is an error message, or message that states you manually refreshed.

(Log files can be found following the links here under "Tools for Troubleshooting" near the bottom of the article.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors