Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

handyd
Frequent Visitor

I have configured a Power BI Gateway Cluster with a primary and secondary gateway and I have enabled the option to distribute requests across all active gateways in the cluster. When the primary gateway is offline (service stopped or server offline), scheduled and manual refreshes of datasets do not work.

I've confirmed connectivity to all data sources and all service urls on the secondary gateway. The refreshes and connection tests work fine, even if the primary gateway is offline, but refreshes do not work (error: The gateway is either offline or could not be reached.).

The documentation states:

"The gateway cloud service always uses the primary gateway in a cluster unless that gateway isn't available. In that case, the service switches to the next available gateway in the cluster."

and ""It is recommended to disable or remove an offline gateway member in the cluster. If a gateway member is offline instead of disabled or removed, we may try to excecute a query on that offline member, before moving to the next one. This can negatively impact the performance."

which suggests that this should work even if the primary is offline, but it does not. Has anyone seen this before, or have info on what might be causing these refreshes to fail?

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@handyd 

I would suggest you check  gatway member in Power Platform   first.
You can  see the gateway cluster status and  secondary gateway status there.

Related documents:

onpremises-data-gateway-management 

You also need to make sure  that your data source is always online.(It is not recommended to configure the gateway and data source on the same machine)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi,

Power Platform shows the secondary as Online prior to stopping the service on the primary and the data sources themselves are online when performing the tests against the secondary. Testing the Gateway connections work when the primary is offline - it is only scheduled or manual refreshes that do not work when the Primary gateway member is offline (not just disabled, but the actual service is stopped on the gateway machine).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors