Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jim_
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh Failing-Timeout

Hi All,

I have been struggling quite a bit lately with my refreshes failing, is it possible that having different datasets refresh too close to each other could cause this?  If it makes a difference, everything is being pulled from Excel and there are files that present in multiple datasets.

Thanks!!

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jim_

Is the error a timeout error? 

And are you using the Personal On-Premise Data Gateway, or the Enterprise On-Premise Data Gateway?

Have you got the latest version installed?

I would suggest first testing the refresh manually, by using the Refresh Now option from the dataset. Wait for that to complete and see how long it takes.

Only once it can refresh successfully manually would I then look into scheduling the refresh. 

Also remember that with Power BI Pro, there are only 8 refreshes a day, or 48 with Power BI Premium.

If it is still failing, I would then look into where you have got the Gateway installed. 

Ensure that you have got enough CPUs (As I have found when processing Excel files, if there are a lot of applied steps in the Query Editor, it will consume almost all the CPUs).

Also ensure that you have got enough memory, as all the Query Editor steps are applied where the Gateway is installed.

And finally ensure that there is enough bandwidth, with a consistant connection to upload the data to the Power BI Service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jim_

Is the error a timeout error? 

And are you using the Personal On-Premise Data Gateway, or the Enterprise On-Premise Data Gateway?

Have you got the latest version installed?

I would suggest first testing the refresh manually, by using the Refresh Now option from the dataset. Wait for that to complete and see how long it takes.

Only once it can refresh successfully manually would I then look into scheduling the refresh. 

Also remember that with Power BI Pro, there are only 8 refreshes a day, or 48 with Power BI Premium.

If it is still failing, I would then look into where you have got the Gateway installed. 

Ensure that you have got enough CPUs (As I have found when processing Excel files, if there are a lot of applied steps in the Query Editor, it will consume almost all the CPUs).

Also ensure that you have got enough memory, as all the Query Editor steps are applied where the Gateway is installed.

And finally ensure that there is enough bandwidth, with a consistant connection to upload the data to the Power BI Service.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  Thank you for the input.  I do have a substantial amount work being done in the query editor.  Although these files previously had updated reliably and there have been no changes to the query editor, there may have been some changes to the server that the personal gateway lives on. 

I will go through the query editor steps and see what can be done in DAX vs M to reduce the load on the server.

Hi @Jim_

Also see if possible to reduce the applied steps? As that could also possibly help.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors