Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kostas
Helper IV
Helper IV

Refresh Dataset on Demand

Hello, 

As I am still trying to understand the differences in the licences on the Power BI I would like to ask a question. 

At the moment I am using the premium per user licence which allows me to refresh my dataset up to 48 times per day on schedule refresh or on demand though the service. 

What I need to understand is the following:

I have placed a button within my report which when a user "hit" it, it will trigger the flow as to refresh the dataset. When a user uses the specific button, is the refresh using my user limit or i using the limit of the user that tiggered the flow from the report?

I hope it make sense

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kostas ,

>>if a user has a Pro licence, will the refresh button in the report (activated though Flow) will reduce the daily limit of the user published the report or of the user that triggered the action? 

Yes, if the report is in shared capacity, the refresh from MS flow is also include in 8 times refresh limitation.

>>Also, is the unlimited in the premium capacity per user or only in the organisation?

As long as the report is in premium capacity, there is no refresh limitation both for user in or out organization.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

Hi @Kostas ,

If the button activated through Flow it will reduce the refresh slot. If you refresh by button on the power bi service itself, there is no limitation.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kostas ,

>>if a user has a Pro licence, will the refresh button in the report (activated though Flow) will reduce the daily limit of the user published the report or of the user that triggered the action? 

Yes, if the report is in shared capacity, the refresh from MS flow is also include in 8 times refresh limitation.

>>Also, is the unlimited in the premium capacity per user or only in the organisation?

As long as the report is in premium capacity, there is no refresh limitation both for user in or out organization.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hello @v-deddai1-msft  

Thanks for the answer above, just a clarification:

"Yes, if the report is in shared capacity, the refresh from MS flow is also include in 8 times refresh limitation."

Will the refresh slot reduced from the capacity of the user that uses the button in the report or from the user that published the report? 

Thanks

Hi @Kostas ,

If the button activated through Flow it will reduce the refresh slot. If you refresh by button on the power bi service itself, there is no limitation.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There is no limit on refreshes in PPU/PPC when you trigger them manually , from XMLA Endpoint using script, or From Power Automate or via Rest API. The 48 limit is only on Scheduled refreshes in Service.

Thanks!

do unlimited refreshes also apply for pro license users?

Hello @AbhiSSRS,

Thanks for your answer.

Is the message below from the flow not related to the limit of refreshes per day?

Kostas_0-1623741075328.png

I used the HTTP request with link.

This is strange! As per the post it should be unlimited for the flows. For XMLA I Have verified myself but the Flow one should work too based on this :

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/refresh-your-power-bi-dataset-using-microsoft-flow/

According to the below section, a user in premium capacity does not have a limit? (although in the lincencing section it mentions 48 times.) So the question remains, if a user has a Pro licence, will the refresh button in the report (activated though Flow) will reduce the daily limit of the user published the report or of the user that triggered the action? 

Also, is the unlimited in the premium capacity per user or only in the organisation? 

Kostas_0-1623742605387.png

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors