Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GM1
Frequent Visitor

Redshift Connector - Ignoring Data Source Encryption Setting - Express Route setup

Background

We’ve got the Express Route setup to secure the Power BI Web Service through to Redshift.  I’ve tested connecting to the Redshift Cluster with a SQL Client from an Azure VM and it was successful.

The next step is connecting to the Redshift Cluster from Power BI. This is working internally (PBI Desktop), I’ve entered a username, password and unchecked the Encrypt Connections due to the certificate issue and this connects withouth issue.

The Redshift Cluster Endpoint name will not match the Name we are connecting to. We’ve spoken with AWS and they currently don’t allow you to upload your own certificates, it is a feature they are working on but there is no date set for when it will be available.

In the meantime we will encrypt data but not verify the hostname matches the cert. In Power BI this is done by unchecking the ‘Encrypt Connections’ button when setting up a data source.

Problem

The problem we are encountering now is that when you publish a report to Power BI Web Service it appears to just ignore the ‘Encrypt Connections’ setting we had unchecked and results in the connection failing (screenshots below). The error is what we would expect if ‘Encrypt Connections’ is enabled.

The ‘Encrypt Connections’ option isn’t shown in the Power BI Web Portal and there doesn’t appear to be a way to view or set it.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @GM1,

I'm also not so sure if power bi support use express route for redshift datasource. According to your description, I found you only test with sql client. which server name you test? original or mapped?

Second, you also test on power bi desktop with original redshift service name without encryption. Then you direct test to use express router service name on power bi service, I don't think you can direct use this mapped datasource.

In my opinion, you should test the mapping server name on power bi desktop, if it works you can try to use similar server name on power bi service credentials setting.

Notice: current power bi service should setting correspond credentials and datasource as desktop setting.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I think you missed the point. ON PBI desktop we intentionaly don't use encryption, but for some reason onced deployed to the web service encryption is turned back on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you manage the overcome this issue?

I'm having the same problem and need to disable SSL certificate verification as the hostname does not match the certificate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors