Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tomq04
Helper I
Helper I

Redshift Cannot Refresh

Can't refresh your data

The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID066984b8-9cff-4a03-ab6a-6676a11eb4d5
Request ID5c86c7b4-478d-7c3e-e0f6-d48596623845
Correlation ID72d1df29-fde2-dc92-69c5-fc50e043944f
Status code400
TimeThu Apr 06 2017 08:43:30 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1700.1649

The credentials work in Power BI Desktop but after publishing to BI Service, I am unable to refresh. Just updated to the latest version today.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
anallely

The same thing happened to me, but later I realized that in the server chain I added the port as well and without problems I connected and I was able to make my connection with the gateway and try powerbi.com and I no longer receive any errors

tomq04
Helper I
Helper I

Closing the loop a year later.

At this point as we have continued to use Redshift our general solution is to use a short R script with our SQL statement to hit redshift and pull the data we are after and then load the output as a source.

While this isn't a tremendous solution, it does work and allow for automated refreshing against our data warehouse.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tomq04,

Are you able to refresh your dataset in Power BI Desktop? Are you able to refresh the dataset in Power BI Service after you reset password of your database?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am having no issues refreshing the dataset in Power BI Desktop.  I'm having no issues connecting to the DB for any other source.

Hi @tomq04,

Could you please create a small dataset using limited records(for example,100) of Redshift database, then check if you can refresh your dataset in Power BI Service?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia,

A user in my environment is having the same issue.

"Greetings IT Team,
Wondering if we can open a support ticket for PowerBi. Currently I'm experiencing an error in the system while I try to publish amazon redshift connected report to their Online Service.

I'm getting the following error: "The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data source". I'm entering the correct information, as it in desktop version accepts the credentials and establishes the connection.

I have researched online, however, unfortunately, I haven't found any reported issues on that. (this is feature that just got roll out)

"

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I created a dashboard with a small table like you suggested, but am getting the same invalid credential errors.  I have created a support ticket for this (#117041215596412), but haven't heard back anything of substance yet.

Thanks,

Hey guys

I get the same error when I type the credentials in the Power BI Service,

"The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources"

Did anyone solve this issue?

Hi,

We did finally solve this after speaking with Power BI support.  Essentially Power BI was trying to talk to the wrong URL, once we were trying to track down the URL they were attempting to hit, we made the change on our Redshift cluster to be alligned with Power BI Services connection and everything has been working great since...I believe it all started when we tried to alias our redshift URL to company_name.redshift.com rather than the full redshift url they originally provide.

Hi I am sorry I did not understand exactly what you did, How did you find out what URL power BI was trying to hit and how did you change that in your redshift cluster? 

I did not make any change to the URL that was provided originally by my Redshift Cluster and in that edit credentials window I can see the url of my extensionDataSourcePath, But I am not able to edit it. 

This is the URL present in that dialogue box - ashdummy.cz6yvlz9h.us-west-2.redshift.amazonaws.com:5819;ashdummydata

Only difference between this URL and the JDBC url is that there will be a '/' after the port no i.e., 5819/ashdummydata whereas here there is a ';'

Forgive me I am new to Redshift and Power BI, trying to set it up at work because my boss wants me to. it would be great if you could explain it a bit in detail

Unfortunately I wasn't the one to make the change on the Redshift side, but when I get to the office tomorrow I can walk you through the tool that Microsoft had me use to trace the network path.

That would be really great.

hi @ashwanth_pasu, I'm having the same issue as you.

Did you manage to find a solution? 

Howdy, 

Support had me use an app called "fiddler" http://www.telerik.com/fiddler.

You can install the free version and use the downloaded app to trace the request being made after you hit "refresh" in app.powerbi.

Hey guys did ull get a solution for this? Even I am getting the same error, if i type my credentials its says 

"The credentials you provided for the data source are invalid. Please check the credentials for all the data sources"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors