Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PiotrStawicki
Frequent Visitor

Recurring "internal service error" when refreshing dataset

Hello,

For 4 days I have a problem when refreshing one dataset - it constantly returns "internal service error" after any try (scheduled, on-demand or OneDrive)

What's important to notice:

- when I download the pbix and refresh it locally, it finished without any problems

- when I published the pbix in another workspace, it also refreshes properly (both on demand and scheduled)

- other datasets in the same workspace also refresh properly

So looks that the problem occurs only for this single dataset in the specific workspace. I detected, that the first failure was after trying to refresh it 9th time during 24h (it's in a standard workspace, so has an 8 times limit). But then I waited full 24h without any refresh to clear the limit, but it didn't help.

PS: I'd like to avoid deleting the entire dataset and publishing it then from the beginning. There are multiple reports based on this dataset, a lot of users have their personal bookmarks saved etc. Would be great to just fix the refreshing disability

Regards!

error1.pngerror2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your answer. Today I finally found the reason on some another thread.

The problem was caused by one of the dashboards based on this dataset. I'm not sure what exactly was wrong, but some tiles were blurred/have some exclamation marks. Deleting them helped also with the dataset refresh 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We see this issue a lot, and often it can be traced to the data source being overwhelmed. First you should try disabling parallel loading of tables. If that doesn't help (and if you have a PRO license) you will want to raise a ticket with Microsoft so they can check their logs and advise you on the actual root cause.

Thank you for your answer. Today I finally found the reason on some another thread.

The problem was caused by one of the dashboards based on this dataset. I'm not sure what exactly was wrong, but some tiles were blurred/have some exclamation marks. Deleting them helped also with the dataset refresh 🙂

That's a very interesting find. Can you provide more details on the type of error messages shown in the dashboard tiles?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors