Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rdalton2100
Regular Visitor

Recommendations for Dataset Management

We have struggled to find a best practice in regards to reusing standard data entities across our company.  I expect that our use cases are commonplace.  I am hoping that others have found solutions to what I understand are purposeful limitations within Power BI dataset reuse.

We have a standard dataset that contains information about stores.  It has basic store info (address, type, size), contact info (phone numbers and people), alignment (district, area, region) and other related asset information regarding the stores.  This dataset is the official store list and information that we want to certify for the company.  All report writers should use this source.

A typical report writer will connect to the data sources within SQL Server to recreate this dataset, or copy an existing PBIX file that already contains this dataset.  They will then add their custom data that they are relating to the stores, such as Sales, Demographics or whatever source data they have.  They then publish their report and dataset to the service, and a refresh is scheduled for the store info, along with the other data sources.

We have 50 different report writers all writing reports utilizing store info.  They are all copying or recreating store info datasets to tie to their other data.  Each of these is publishing a copy of the same dataset and scheduling refreshes independently.

We can publish a certified dataset for store info, but if a report writer uses it then they cannot add any additional data.  It is not practical to try to add all possible reporting data into a few models.  We can get a large quantity of data covered this way, but analysts will always have their own datasets they want to combine.  We do not have a way to centraly manage common data without losing the real flexibility of Power BI, which is to allow people to add a variety of data for reporting.

We continue to copy premade models and publish them with reports.  This feels wrong to me.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Raymond

1 REPLY 1
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rdalton2100 

Do you mean there're 50 writers, working on same SQL server and database, but different operation on the data source? 

I think they can model the data in desktop by connecting to the SQL server individually, and then publish the report to same workspace using different filename. then the workspace admin add the gateway, and manage the source info under the data source setting. ( Only need input the SQL server and database name once time), and share the gateway with 50 writers. 

Then every time the datasource refreshed, 50 reports will refresh accordingly.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors