Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Receiving Daily Subscription Email Without Dataset Refresh

I have subscribed to 2 different pieces of content under the same Power BI Report. One of them is the dashboard which is made up of a bunch of "pinned" report visials. The other is a specific page in the report itself. The dataset is manually refreshed once per month. I have received 2 email notifications (1 for the dashboard and 1 for the report page) from Microsoft Power BI every month since the creation of this BI until 12/29/17. As of this date, I have been receiving a daily email notification just for the dashboard, not the report page. I've checked with another end user and he said he is also being notified daily. This now makes the subscription useless as now I have to go back to emailing the entire end user group every month to let them know the data has been refreshed. Has anyone else had this problem or know what is going on?

I wanted to mention that the last time the dataset was refreshed was on 12/20/17. The next time will not be until the 3rd week of Jan 2018. I have also tried to unsubscribe and re-subscribe to the dashboard, but that did not fix the issue either.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have finally figured out what happened. Another person within our company had "pinned" a visual to my dashboard accidentally. I never noticed this because my dashboard was created to exactly fit on my screen and didn't notice that there was now a scroll bar to see an additional visual. I also rarely view the dashboard as all the details are in the reports. This new visual was setup to refresh every hour which is why I was receiving a daily email for the dashboard page, but not for the report page.

I only discovered this because I went to unshare the dashboard with another user and it came up with a warning saying there was another report tied to my report. All I had to do to fix it was simply delete the newly "pinned" visual. This was such an easy fix, but it was very frustrating to try to find.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you refresh manually? What would the result be? Were there any new data in your last refreshing?

Please consider these limitations here.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale @v-jiascu-msft,

I can and actually have to refresh to dataset manually each month. I download new data from an external site each month and then copy/paste that data into a spreadsheet that Power BI references. Once that is done, I click to refresh the data.

I went ahead and manually refreshed the data yesterday even though nothing has changed. Shortly after doing this I received a subscription email from the "Report" page that I subscribed to which is normal, but did not receive a subscription email from the "Dashboard" page that I am also subscribed to. I imagine this is becasue I already received the "Dashboard" subscription email earlier in the day and I know you only get a maximum of one email per day per subscription. Just to be clear, it is the "Dashboard" subscription that is giving me grief as it sends me and other end users an email every single day without any refreshing occuring.

I also checked out the limitations and none of them would be affecting my BI report.

All the best,

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have finally figured out what happened. Another person within our company had "pinned" a visual to my dashboard accidentally. I never noticed this because my dashboard was created to exactly fit on my screen and didn't notice that there was now a scroll bar to see an additional visual. I also rarely view the dashboard as all the details are in the reports. This new visual was setup to refresh every hour which is why I was receiving a daily email for the dashboard page, but not for the report page.

I only discovered this because I went to unshare the dashboard with another user and it came up with a warning saying there was another report tied to my report. All I had to do to fix it was simply delete the newly "pinned" visual. This was such an easy fix, but it was very frustrating to try to find.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors