Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BillColeman
Frequent Visitor

Rebuild old partitions for a new field

I have incremental refresh configured on a large fact table that has been in production for a while, but I'll need to add a new field to the table now. I can redefine the table to include the field using ALM toolkit, but the data only gets populated in the new field for the current partition. Is there a way to force a complete refresh/rebuild of older partitions so that the new field's data can be populated retrospectively?

The only think I can think of is to remove the partitioning altogether, do a full refresh and then replace the partitioning. I really don't like the idea of doing this on a production dataset. There has to be a cleaner solution to rebuild old partitions.

I did try via SSMS - connecting to the dataset as if it were an AAS cube and selecting & rebuilding partitions, but this does not work. Anyone else encountered this puzzle?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I was thinking about the same as you. Deleting and refreshing all over again. However, guy in a cube has recently published an interesting appproach that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWt6ijJG94

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I was thinking about the same as you. Deleting and refreshing all over again. However, guy in a cube has recently published an interesting appproach that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWt6ijJG94

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

HI,

Did you find a way to add new field to all partitions wthout deleting the partition?

Thanks

Ah man, I was so close! I just had partition refresh process a little wrong from SSMS. Thanks for the link to that video. My trick bag has been updated 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors