Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebind - Power BI Rest API clarification

I have a report named report1 in workspace named workspace1 which is pointing to shared dataset named dataset1. Next, I am coping this report in workspace2 and then rebinding report1 to dataset2 which is also a shared dataset using Power BI REST API. Now, if I download this report (post rebinding) as .pbix it gets downloaded with dataset1. Please know that on Power BI service, it is still showing the data of dataset2 in workspace2 for this same report. 

Is this something expected from "rebind through Rest API" or I am missing something?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
jkerski
Advocate I
Advocate I

As of 5/14/2020 this is still an issue.  I opened a ticket and after some back and forth got this conclusion:

As we discussed over the Microsoft Teams, we also tried reproducing the issue from our end and we are also getting the same behavior which you are getting after downloading .pbix of the reminded dataset. We had escalated this issue to our PG Team and we got the infomation that this is a known bug.

Our PG team is aware of this behavior, and actually this limitation exists in rebind API since it was first published. They will work reagrding the issue and it will take some time to get it fix in future.  Below are the steps we followed to reproduced the issue-

dataset 1 (analysis import test) and dataset2 (analysis import test 1) should be similar source and identical

Step1: create connection to dataset 1 and publish as report 1: done- connected to analysis import test

step 2: rebind the report1 to dataset 2: done - now its rebinded to dataset2 (analysis import test 1)

Step 3 : download the report1, the connection still shows to dataset 1(analysis import test) Which is not true in Power BI Service.

The dataset id changed but when we download it still points to dataset 1 (analysis import test)

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are facing the exact same issue with Rebind so thank you for the blog post and link to this forum @Anonymous !

For my clarity, after using Rebind API, does the report in the Power BI Service actually point to the correct dataset? And then only when downloading a copy of the report, revert back to the original/incorrect dataset?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous ,

Yes you are correct. I have observed this behavior while working on such a scenario where the report in the Power BI Service actually points to the correct dataset and then only when downloading a copy of the report, it reverts back to the original/incorrect dataset.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After researching, I think it might be a bug. You could create a support ticket to get a dedicated support.  And please share the solution when you solve the issue. More people will benefit from here.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors