Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RJ
Resolver II
Resolver II

Reason for Dashboards. Why not just share reports?

Am I missing something?

Why does Power BI have dashboards? All dashboards have that reports don't is a completely useless question box. It takes time to set dashboards up and doesn't look as good as reports when it's finished. And it doesn't have any filtering option. Either a slicer or side bar filter.

Why can't we just share reports and be done with it. Surely this would make a lot more a sense. And if Power BI added a good global search option (like the "My Workspace" search) and a list of filters made box (slicers and filters) with the option of removing all or just one. Then Power BI would be close to an outstanding BI solution as it is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RJ Although this seems like a rhetorical question, I'll bite. While I won't comment on why MS decided to implement it the way they did (as I don't know) I would argue that Dashboards most certainly serve a purpose. Here just a number of reasons off the top of my head:

1) Dashboards provide a one glance set of visuals that end users can view to make sure that nothing major or out of the ordinary is happening ( there are many different use cases)

2) Dashboard tiles are the visuals used on mobile devices, thus allowing end users to see those important metrics wherever they are.

3) They are the high level overview, and allow the user to "drill down" into the additional visualizations created in a report. You will most likely always have more visuals telling the complete story of an area of business in your reports (multiple pages).

4) Dashboards allow you to link multiple reports together by creating tiles from various reports you grant the end user one spot to view multiple reports.

If you think in terms of a car dashboard it makes alot more sense. You have gauges and icons that tell you something is up, how fast you are going, what direction you intend to turn. Do these visuals tell you the whole story? "No". The car manual does that. But you wouldn't stick pages of information up in front of you. Reports are like the manual, they provide alot more meaning to the visuals on your dashboard.

That being said, your idea appears to have been requested, and you can vote for that functionality to be included. It would appear it is currently under review by the Power BI team.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/7122026-share-reports-in-power-bi-previ...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@RJ Although this seems like a rhetorical question, I'll bite. While I won't comment on why MS decided to implement it the way they did (as I don't know) I would argue that Dashboards most certainly serve a purpose. Here just a number of reasons off the top of my head:

1) Dashboards provide a one glance set of visuals that end users can view to make sure that nothing major or out of the ordinary is happening ( there are many different use cases)

2) Dashboard tiles are the visuals used on mobile devices, thus allowing end users to see those important metrics wherever they are.

3) They are the high level overview, and allow the user to "drill down" into the additional visualizations created in a report. You will most likely always have more visuals telling the complete story of an area of business in your reports (multiple pages).

4) Dashboards allow you to link multiple reports together by creating tiles from various reports you grant the end user one spot to view multiple reports.

If you think in terms of a car dashboard it makes alot more sense. You have gauges and icons that tell you something is up, how fast you are going, what direction you intend to turn. Do these visuals tell you the whole story? "No". The car manual does that. But you wouldn't stick pages of information up in front of you. Reports are like the manual, they provide alot more meaning to the visuals on your dashboard.

That being said, your idea appears to have been requested, and you can vote for that functionality to be included. It would appear it is currently under review by the Power BI team.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/7122026-share-reports-in-power-bi-previ...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauernailed it. #4 is an especially convenient way to tie report content together for different audiences. Report and dashboard separation is also a concept used in a variety of other BI products.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors