Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MattieG72MP
Helper I
Helper I

Realtime Dashboard not scrolling to show new data...

Hi All

Absolutely loving the real-time dashboards but we seem to have a small issue when a tile is full of rows of data and new data starts coming in.

When new rows arrive it seems to be added off screen and the tile doesn't scroll down to display it!

All other data such as totals refresh fine. Not sure if this is a bug but if anyone has any fix that would be great, we go live with a demo on Monday!

Thanks

Mattie

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MattieG72MP,

>>When new rows arrive it seems to be added off screen and the tile doesn't scroll down to display it!

Can you please share detail informations to help us clarify this issue?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin, no problem!

Ok, so we have a streaming displayed on a dashboard tile which display 5 fields of data ordered by Date descending as attached.

As you can see there is still some blank space at the bottom of the tile for new rows to be inserted at the top and for the data to scroll down which works perfectly well.

Once the tile is full of data it remains static and any new data doesn't display at the top.
Other tiles which only display totals do refresh with the new row counts but the only way to show new rows in the data tile below is to press F5.

Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks

Mattie

Realtime dashboardRealtime dashboard

Hi @MattieG72MP,

AFAIK, current streaming historical data contains limitation, I think you may over the limit so historic records not update any more.

Real-time streaming in Power BI

When Historic data analysis is disabled (it is disabled by default), you create a streaming dataset as described earlier in this article. When Historic data analysis is enabled, the dataset created becomes both a streaming dataset and a push dataset. This is equivalent to using the Power BI REST APIs to create a dataset with its defaultMode set to pushStreaming, as described earlier in this article.

Power BI REST API limitations

To POST Rows

• 75 max columns
  • 75 max tables
  • 10,000 max rows per single POST rows request
  • 1,000,000 rows added per hour per dataset
  • 5 max pending POST rows requests per dataset
  • 120 POST rows requests per minute per dataset
  • If table has 250,000 or more rows, 120 POST rows requests per hour per dataset
  • 200,000 max rows stored per table in FIFO dataset
  • 5,000,000 max rows stored per table in ‘none retention policy’ dataset
  • 4,000 characters per value for string column in POST rows operation

Reference link:

History Data Analysis option in Streaming dataset

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

We only have about 40 or 50 records on the page and if we press F5 the data does display so it is there.

I think it's definitely a refresh issue!

Not to worry, thanks for your help anyway 🙂

Mattie

Hi @MattieG72MP,

Visuals created by Historical dataset is different than live tile.  They will follow the tile update rules and will not be updated like streaming tiles.

So it should similar as general issue 'dashboard tiles not update'. Maybe you can try to delete and re-pin to current dashboard or test with other web browser.

Reference links:

Dashboard tiles in Power BI

Real-time streaming in Power BI

Data refresh in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @MattieG72MP,

Had a similar issue - the Real-Time dashboard doesn't know the size limitation of the visualization compared to the pushed data, so while the data is there you only see the old data.

I corrected this by using a delete rows command in my Push Powershell, however this resulted in horrible flashing on the dashbaord. 

The delete rows command ran a check for Total record count coming from the source database, if it exceeded the predetermined count of the visualization size, I ignorned that row when pushing new data.

To limit the flashing to 'somewhat' tolerable, I played with the timing of the Push Powershell.  This solution works but it isn't ideal.  Power BI should have a built in process that knows how to drop an old record and display the newest record in the visualization.  There is a sort option, but this doesn't work either to resolved pushed data...

As I explained to Power BI developers - this can all be avoided if MS Power BI would allow TEXT to a streaming tile, but it won't and I have no idea why.

Chas

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors