Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bishnu
Helper II
Helper II

Real time weather data with Powerbi using Flow

Hello

I have been trying to create real time weather data. Intially i tried with PubNUb. Though i succeded i couldnt set location. 

Now i am tring using Flow

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/fotw-weather-in-powerbi/

Step 1) Set up your flow

Step 2)  Add the tile to your dashboard

in step 1, I created flow, but i didnt understand the following step

Annotation 2020-06-14 121637.png

Can anybody expian we what is this step?

Regards

BB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Use 'Get currect weather' instead of 'Get forecast for today'. I think you need current weather, not forecast.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@bishnu
On your previous step you already created a streaming dataset (it's like a table with, for example, 'Date Time', 'Temperature' and 'Wind Speed' fields).

2020-06-14_18-29-37[1].png

Now, in the Flow, you need to select your workspace, dataset name and table name (table name is 'RealTimeData' always). Once you selected the above you'll see a list of your streaming dataset table fields (created in Power BI Service).

You need to put cursor into each of the fields and assign 'dynamic content' to this field. Dynamic content is what your data connector provides (in your case 'Get current weather' connector provides different weather related variables).

For example, put cursor into the Temperature field and you see pop up window with a list of dynamic content provided by 'Get current weather' connector, find Temperature variable and click on it to add to the field:

chrome_2020-06-14_18-36-48[1].png

It's just to match your dataset fields with data fields provided by the weather connector.

Once you are aware with the list of available weather variables you can go back to Power BI and add additional fields to the data set.

For example, add 'Dewpoint' field to the data set (there is a typo in my field name, it's not a problem because you're going to match Dewpoint variable with Devpoint field manually):

2020-06-14_18-54-02[1].png

Go back to Flow, reload your flow and you'll see your new Devpoint field:
chrome_2020-06-14_18-58-14[1].png

Hello @avatorl 

Thanks a lot. it was helpfull. I followed all your steps

1)Defined streaming API data in powerbi

2)Defined flow

Flow.png

3)Defined new tile

Setting.png

But unfortunately my dashboard  is empty, i dont see any data

Dasboard.png

Why is it so, am i doing something wrong?

Thanks 

BB

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I assume your flow is running with no errors, right?

1) You see this? It means "show only last 1 minute on a graph", but you're refreshing your data one per minute. Increase 'time window to display' to last for example 10-15 minutes.
chrome_2020-06-14_20-32-26[1].png

2) Also you used 'Forecat Date' variable. Probably it returns just a date instead of date-time.
Use 'Last Updated' variable for your Time field.

Hello @avatorl 

Thank you

I increased to 5 minutes and now its showing me results.

Annotation 2020-06-14 211144.png

For time, i used date, i dont see "Last updated" in dynamic contents. is it strange?

Regards

BB

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It's ok. I think we just used different weather connectors.

avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Use 'Get currect weather' instead of 'Get forecast for today'. I think you need current weather, not forecast.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors