Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sreejith
Frequent Visitor

Real time dash board with RestAPI/PBI Desktop

Hi,

I need to have a real time dash board where a refresh rate more than 3 seconds cannot be afforded. I tried REST Api to push data to a data set (created via REST Api) and is reflected on the dash board in no time. But there seems to be limitations in shaping the dataset created via REST Api when compared to modeling capabilities in PBI desktop like changing the type of the data etc.

1) Is it possible to model such a data set using the PBI Desktop after creation?

2) Is it possibe to model the data in same way as with PBI desktop application and achieve a real time refresh just like REST Api?

3) Can I push data to a data set created and published with PBI desktop?(To my best of knowledge this is not possible)

Any guidance appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Sreejith That's correct. You cannot work with data types as in Desktop tool. Also you cannot model your dataset in Power BI Desktop Tool and hence you cannot achieve real time data refreh using Power BI Desktop tool.

Find video given here for the webinar we have conducted on Power BI REST API. Demo is in 2nd half of the video. Hoep this will help ! 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Sreejith That's correct. You cannot work with data types as in Desktop tool. Also you cannot model your dataset in Power BI Desktop Tool and hence you cannot achieve real time data refreh using Power BI Desktop tool.

Find video given here for the webinar we have conducted on Power BI REST API. Demo is in 2nd half of the video. Hoep this will help ! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors