Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Real time Dashboard with ODATA source

Hello everyone,

I made this dashboard for my company and i'm trying to make it a real time dashboard. It gets ODATA type of data from project web service (PWA). I dont know if i'm on right way but i've downloaded the On-premises data gateway and config it, till there everything ok but when i try to config the gateway connection at PowerBI Online Service i can't config it properly because the connection required is ODATA with Organizational Account credentials type and none privacy level, but there isn't this option at PowerBI Online Service gateway clusters configuration.

This is how it's made the connection between the powerBI desktop and the ODATA database from PWAThis is how it's made the connection between the powerBI desktop and the ODATA database from PWAAnd those are the PowerBI options for Gateway clusters databasesAnd those are the PowerBI options for Gateway clusters databases

So, or i'm doing something wrong or that's not the way it's meant to be taken. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you are creating a real time dashboard, you will need to push the data into the Power BI Service.

Here are more details if this is what you are trying to achieve.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-real-time-streaming

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
skaranth10
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

Were you able to setup your realtime dashboard with Odata? If yes, I would like some help, please.

I am trying to setup a realtime streaming dashboard as well, but am not sure how to go about it. 

I have done the initial steps - setting up a Streaming Dataset on my Power BI service and setting up tiles. But I am not sure how to proceed to connect this to my Odata feed. Any help would be appreciated! 

You can't with odata. I believe project web is also build on CDS so you could do direct query (preview feature) which is real time.

I see. 

Thank you for letting me know. 

If anybody has found a way to work around this using Odata, please do let me know! 

I appreciate your help guys.

Thank you.

It's not about a workaround.

Look, odata is a query. It will give you the data when you ask for it. You can have PowerBI ask for it using the scheduled refresh but you are limited to 8 refreshes a day (everything but real time) if you have pro. If you have premium, you can go to pretty much unlimited now using power automate, but still it's not exactly realtime because the power automate takes between 5 & 30 secs and then the refresh itself of the source which can be anywhere between 10 secs till ....

Bottom line: you can't with odata because you need to keep querying to get the data which results in delays & limitations. It can't push data either.

Thank you for explaining it further. This makes it clearer to me. 

I have setup scheduled refreshes already. I guess I will have to make do with a refresh every 3 hours for the time being. 

Thank you once again!

Regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you are creating a real time dashboard, you will need to push the data into the Power BI Service.

Here are more details if this is what you are trying to achieve.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-real-time-streaming

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors