Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bpasol
Frequent Visitor

Read-only dataset publlished on service

Hi,

I created a dataset in Power BI Desktop and published it to a private workspace where I am admin. I would like to allow members to create and share reports (in the same workspace) based on that dataset, but prevent them from downloading, overwritting or deleting the dataset pbix.

Is there a way to achieve this at the moment? 

Thanks!

B.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bpasol

Click on the three dots and select "make a copy", then from the copied dataset, he can create a report.

3.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bpasol

You can create an organizational content pack with this dataset and publish and give access to the members.

They can get the organizational content pack with this dataset, they can't make a change of the dataset until they make a copy of it. Then they can create a report based on the dataset.

Intro to organizational content packs in Power BI

Create and publish a Power BI organizational content pack 

Organizational content packs: Copy, refresh, and get access

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I published the dataset to a content pack and shared it with a coleague. He is able to import the content pack and he sees the dataset in his workspace, however he cannot create any new reports from it:

- no new report button (as visible in screenshot below) in the dataset section

- create report in app.powerbi.com and Get Data in Power BI Desktop don't show the dataset in his My Workspace. 

Any idea why, did the deprecation kick in already or is it possible I did something wrong when sharing the content? 

Thank you!

2018-06-26_16-24-40.png

Hi @bpasol

Click on the three dots and select "make a copy", then from the copied dataset, he can create a report.

3.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I am not sure if it's a solution. Users still have the possibility to download the pbix , amend the model and publish to the same workspace and overwritting the orifinal model I can see a gap in terms of dataset governance. Thougts?

Maybe the 'viewer'role will help? when is it planned for release? 

Cheers,

Ludo

Thanks Maggie!

Thank you, Maggie! I will be looking into that.

The only concern I have is that MS is deprecating this feature, so I'm a bit worried I will have to re-do this part of the solution in a year's time when Apps is more mature. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors