Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

seshakumar

Re: London and Copenhagen Power BI World Tour Update

Hi All,

Good Day!

Need your help to clarify the below question.

There are 5 business units for one client . We want to restrict the Power BI report and dashboards to members related to those business unit only.

Which approach should we follow in this case?.

Should we follow "App workspace" from Power BI online approach for each business unit or any other better approach available? and if there any licensing cost involved in "App workspace" / othe approach ? Please suggest us on this.

Thanks in advance!

Sesha Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

My expectaction is you would likely need some amount of Office 365 for each user who wishes to use your report.  Power BI needs a method of identifying your users, and their Office 365 account is the main way I know how to do this.  There could be other ways, i just don't know them.

Power BI Embedded might solve the internal site issue. This won't require your staff to need the Power BI service, but again the authentication and row level security features you want will likely require Office 365.

Lastly, with the exception of Publish to the Web, there really isn't a free way around the collaboration restriction to the licensing for sharing reports.  Power BI embedded is likely the most cost effectively way based on your brief description.  If you are looking for some sort of zero cost method for Power BI, you will find fairly fast that it doesn't exist.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @seshakumar,

I agree with Ross73312's point of view, RLS will be suitable.
Also, I think you can use dynamic RLS based on username it will be suitable for your scenario.

Reference link:

RLS with UserName()

Dynamic Row Level Security with Power BI Made Simple

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Row level security would be your best bet I believe:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Ross73312, 

I have a similar task and I think your answer is very good.
But if, besides this task, we need to publish this report to web?
We have limitations on publish to web:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/#limitations
How can we restrict the Power BI report and dashboards to members related to those business units only and at the same time publish to web?

How can this be done?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In short, you can't.  Publish to the web by its nature is an insecure method.  Essentially if you want to use Publish to the Web, you have to accept that everyone on the planet can find and use the data.

Ross73312,

Thank you very much for the answer.
Maybe you can tell me how to solve my problem?
My customer has 5 stores.
I need to develop a report and publish it on the internal site. Users do not have Power BI service and Desktop.
Every store employees needs to login to internal site to view Power BI report.
We want store employees to view data only for their store.
Can I use authentication to filter data in the Power BI report?
Is it possible somehow to use the query parameters?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My expectaction is you would likely need some amount of Office 365 for each user who wishes to use your report.  Power BI needs a method of identifying your users, and their Office 365 account is the main way I know how to do this.  There could be other ways, i just don't know them.

Power BI Embedded might solve the internal site issue. This won't require your staff to need the Power BI service, but again the authentication and row level security features you want will likely require Office 365.

Lastly, with the exception of Publish to the Web, there really isn't a free way around the collaboration restriction to the licensing for sharing reports.  Power BI embedded is likely the most cost effectively way based on your brief description.  If you are looking for some sort of zero cost method for Power BI, you will find fairly fast that it doesn't exist.

Thank you very much for your help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors