Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issues with Vertica Scheduled refresh

I've already set it up in the ODBC System DSN and in my gateway connections. Yet, when I try to sign in in the database through the dataset options in the web it says the same thing:

Capture.PNG

I dont undertand why if PBI has a native connector for Vertica is asking me for this drivers?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it's much worse. When you select the "native" Vertica connector in the gateway what you get behind the scenes is the Simba 8.0 ODBC driver that doesn't work for you.

What you _should_ do instead is to use ODBC as the connector, and install the official Vertica 9.01 ODBC driver (from Vertica, not from Microsoft or Simba).

To get rid of the Simba driver issue you probably have to uninstall and reinstall the gateway, or even mess around in the registry.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It's complaining about Simba because you chose to use ODBC as the connection type.  You need to change your connection type on the desktop and the gateway to the native Vertica driver (unless you have a really good reason for needing ODBC, like custom query etc)

An ODBC (DSN flavor) connection string looks like this:

{"connectionString":"DSN=DATA_DSN"}

A Vertica connection string looks like this:

{"extensionDataSourceKind":"Vertica","extensionDataSourcePath":"server.domain.net;database"}

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @lbendlin ! Thank you for replying,

I am using the native vertica connector in the desktop application and in my gateway.

Capture.PNGgateway.PNG

Any suggestions?

That's different from what you state in the original post. Have you switched the connection type around?  Note that it needs to be absolutely consistent between desktop and gateway. The connection strings have to be EXACTLY the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, originally I used those settings but since the error indicated something wrong with the ODBC connector, I set it up anyways (Just to be sure). I already removed the connection in the ODBC and it still throws the same error.
Yes! I'm aware that the connection string needs to be the same in the gateway and the desktop application. I dont know what might be causing this. Do you have any other ideas of why this might be happening?

Thank you!

since we have multiple working Vertica gateway connections in our tenant (both ODBC and native) I know that it can be done. We don't use the Simba ODBC driver, we use the one provided by Vertica directly, in version 9.1 I think. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Ony recommendation would be to start over, with a separate dataset and a small table as data source, to see if you can get that to work.

I have to apologize. I just learned that "Simba ODBC"  is the engine behind a lot of the "Extension" type gateway connectors. I was not aware of that. To add insult to injury, that Simba engine is hidden from the regular ODBC settings AND also does not support custom queries (despite being ODBC).

So I have to modify my recommendation to say that you should try to install the genuine Vertica ODBC driver (9.01) and configure it via the genuine ODBC control panel. You need to do this separately on each gateway cluster member.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok so even if someone uses the native Vertica connector to get data from Vertica, they should install the ODBC Vertica driver and configure it?

I already installed the Vertica driver and set the ODBC connector and still prompts the same error message. The test connection says it succesfully connected to the Vertica DB. Here's a more detailed view of the error:

Error.PNG

No, it's much worse. When you select the "native" Vertica connector in the gateway what you get behind the scenes is the Simba 8.0 ODBC driver that doesn't work for you.

What you _should_ do instead is to use ODBC as the connector, and install the official Vertica 9.01 ODBC driver (from Vertica, not from Microsoft or Simba).

To get rid of the Simba driver issue you probably have to uninstall and reinstall the gateway, or even mess around in the registry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin,

I created another file using a smaller table from Vertica but using the ODBC connector and it worked! So I guess I'll have to change my datasource. Thank you for your support!

Have a great day!

Glad to hear. Now the additional bonus is that you can run custom queries against Vertica.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @lbendlin ,

Did you had any troubles at loading data from Vertica using the ODBC driver?

Mine gets stuck around 2M of records. Any ideas of why this might be happening?

No real issues here. Do you get an error message? How wide is your table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

At first it said that it needed to set the TLS Authentication to 0 but I managed to fix that. Now It just gets stuck and some time after it doesn't load any more rows, it throws this error:

Capture.PNG

That's actually an issue in your source data.  That's very much an invalid timestamp!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right! Thank you for your help 🙂

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe your gateway cannot read this driver.

Please check:

1. Whether your service account has permission to the driver folder
  2. Try to change the gateway account type to domain account in your test environment

You can also refer this article: Vertica Integration with Microsoft Power BI: Connection Guide 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-yingjl  for replying!

Yes, It seems like it does not recognized / found the driver.

I've already set my gateway account type and it did not work, yet im still trying to see if my gateway account has access to where the driver is stored. For now when I look into the gateway it appears this message in the connectors tab:

Capture.PNG

Could you help me out with this?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to change the gateway account as a domain account and restart gateway:

Please refer this document and issue:

1. Change the on-premises data gateway service account 
  2. Password of Default service account (NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService) 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the  Windows active directory and found thatthere's a domain account with the same "form" as the service account that uses the gateway. It is like "AUTH\ACCOUNT". So I put that into the On premises gateway and it actually did let me cnnect:

Capture.PNG

Then I put my powerBI email address and selected "Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway". Yet, when I check into the gateway, it stills says this:

Capture.PNG

And it stills does not let me refresh the Dataset due to not able to find the "Simba Vertica Driver". Any Ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors