Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS

Hi,

I have a report which i've used Excel for the data which is manually updated by pulling data from BO and then refreshing the report and then publishing it. 

I have also implemented RLS in desktop and service with Excel being the data source however, if i now change the data source to Live data will the RLS still work?

Is there anything I may lose like features which do not work with live data?

I also have a subscription set up which is set for after i refresh the report and publish it 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok. When you get data from excel you can't create a live connection. You can make it refresh with schedule (8 times a day with pro or 48 times a day with premium). If you think that's not enough for the report or users, then you need to change the source.

I think what you are looking for is "Direct Query". It's a different kind of connection you can use against a certain database engines. That kind of connection will through a query to data when changes on report are clicked. It has a cache that makes it almost live. However you really need to understand that connecting data that way needs a preparation. Connections and engine must be strong to receive everytime a query. Measures can be built with some limited functions, but the most important ones should be there.

I hope that helps,

P/D There is not such thing as live data. The most close is building a streaming structure with code.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Have ibarrau’s reply helped you to understand this problem? If you are using Excel as the data source, there’s no option for you to create a live connection dataset. I think you can just follow this suggestion to place the file on Onedrive and set OneDirve refresh(24 times a day) or assign PPU to your workspace to set the scheduled refresh to 48 times a day. I think it is enough to meet your “live” requirement.

You can follow these links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-connect-to-files-in-app-workspac...

If ibarrau’s reply has helped you to understand this problem, would you like to mark his reply as a solution so that others can learn from it too?

Thanks in advance!

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've already made the report based on an excel file but want to link the report straight into the systems into live data

Sorry It's hard for me to follow you. Let's see if this helps. You can get data from excel file (local, sharepoint, onedrive, etc) into Power Bi. Then you can define when the data will refresh. However you can't make it live. Data from excel can't live connect. 

What is "link the report straight into the systems (what system?) into live data"? Do you want a link to online excel (like onedrive)?

Are you talking about adding a button inside the report with the Excel URL? you can do that with buttons actions. You can read more here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/RLS/m-p/2075712#M139071

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

So what I mean is that I have created a report using an excel spreadsheet which i update manually at the moment.

However, I would like to chnage the data source to being a live connection to somehting like business objects for example. Is this possible or will i have to create a new report based on the new source which is live?

Also how different are the dax measures when connecting to a live data source?

Ok. When you get data from excel you can't create a live connection. You can make it refresh with schedule (8 times a day with pro or 48 times a day with premium). If you think that's not enough for the report or users, then you need to change the source.

I think what you are looking for is "Direct Query". It's a different kind of connection you can use against a certain database engines. That kind of connection will through a query to data when changes on report are clicked. It has a cache that makes it almost live. However you really need to understand that connecting data that way needs a preparation. Connections and engine must be strong to receive everytime a query. Measures can be built with some limited functions, but the most important ones should be there.

I hope that helps,

P/D There is not such thing as live data. The most close is building a streaming structure with code.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Let's see. I would like to say something first. The RLS is a configuration from a Dataset. That means it's not from a report. You can have multiple reports connected to a single dataset with RLS. All reports will have same RLS.

What do you mean with chango to live. You can't change an excel to live. The only live connections that work on Power Bi are Analysis Services and PBI Datasets. If you have configured RLS in one of those last sources then it doesn't matter if you create a new report live connected to that. The RLS is active because it's part of the dataset/model.

On the other hando, the subscription might be attached to the report. If you delete it and publish back again it will be lost. But if you replace the report like updating, it will keep there. You can always reconfigure it if you need.

I hope this make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors