Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DSiffredi
Employee
Employee

RLS working then showing blank values for the same user that was working

Hi there, I've searched everywhere for an answer/solution to this issue.

I've got RLS set up, and it works fine while testing on the desktop client and when I publish it ... works fine for a day or so, but then then the report starts showing blanks for any user for which it was working before.

So in a nutshel RLS works for a day , then starts to show blanks as if the user that had permissions to see that data doesn't have those permissions anymore.

I've tried using username () , or userprincipalname () and both work just fine for a day in the service, but then it just breaks.

I've tried giving security permissions to the user right away or using a security group with the user in that group has the same effect - same problem - same symptoms- It works for about a day and then shows blank. 
When testing either user or security group, I've made sure they both have read only access - so that's not causing the issue.

I've created a measure to show me what user has been validated , and when I check (via impersonation) or screen sharing I see that the user validated is the right one - so, I'm lost here!
I've tried removing the user, or the group and adding it back to the RLS , and sometimes that solves the issue and sometimes I have to republish to get this working back again. 

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this would be really helpful. thanks!

DSiffredi_0-1645921110408.png

here's the group inside that category 

DSiffredi_1-1645921152461.png

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Is there any solution for this problem other than deleting and republishing the report ? i still have the same issue 

thanks

Yes Rayan, the solution is quite simple and worked like a charm (in my case). All I had to do is to make sure that the column with UPN alias@company.com is ALWAYS in lowercase. By doing so RLS works just fine.
I had to add a LOWER to enforce this, as in my case was a calculated column, but you can do that in the query editor as well. 

I hope this helps, it was an absolute nightmare for me and this absolutely solved the issue. 

Daniel Siffredi

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this post - we've been plagued by a similar issue.
RLS works perfectly fine in Power BI desktop, and it also worked fine on the Power BI service.
Since some time it doesn't work on the service anymore (with no change on our end).

My UPN column already had everything lowercase, but I added a LOWER for good measure anyway but to no avail.

I've tried using both username and userprincipalname but both don't work on the service.
I've also published a 2nd completely new copy of the report but it has the same issue.

The users are read-only and are put in a security group.

Anyone with another idea? I created an account outside of our own tenant to replicate external users using the report. I just get a blank report with 0 errors...

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DSiffredi ,

Does the problem occur when the user is in multiple RLS roles?

If feasible, don't put any user into multiple RLS roles. Define RLS roles only on one source group. If it's necessary for a user to belong to multiple RLS roles, make sure all RLS filters set in the roles are defined on tables from a single source group. 

For more information,you can refer to:Issue: Multiple roles and limited relationships 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks for your response , short answer is NO. The user is only part of a source group and hits only one column of a table. it's a very simple RLS model, nothing fancy. 😞

DSiffredi
Employee
Employee

short answer is no, I was also suspicious of refresh messing up with something so I cancelled refresh and I do that manually when needed. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Does the "not working any more" coincide with the first regular scheduled refresh after the update?

No, there's no scheduled updates due to this issue I force them manually on the service. the problem unfortunately persists. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors