Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS with PowerBI Premium Dataset

Hi Team,

Imported an existing AAS Tabular cube to Power BI Premium Data set using tabular editor tool. Then after pointing the PBIX report to  the new PowerBI premium dataset i'm facing couple issue in setting RLS

Ability to manage roles from the report is disabled.

In AAS cube , CUSTOMDATA feature is implemented to pass  filter for User details accessing from embedded as shown below.

The same role i scripted out then ran on top Power BI premium dataset from SSMS. Now when i try to embbed the report, RLS is not working properly

sarthaks_0-1624619064173.png

Please let me know what would be correct approach to implement RLS for PowerBI premium dataset with Live connectivity from the PBIX report.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can refer to this similar solved case to see if his solution is suitable for you:

Solved: Azure Analysis Services RLS and Embedding - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-janeyg-msft ,

The links that you have shared mainly talks about using the Dynamic FIlter criterai using CUSTOMDATA() function.

There is no solution provided around PowerBI Premium dataset and RLS.

Plan is to remove AAS server and leverage PowerBI premium capacity model.

Please help

Hi, @Anonymous  Have you set the role in the report and how did you set it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its disabled  at PBIX report with PowerBI premium dataset as shown below:

sarthaks_0-1624865261490.png

So I connected to XMLA endpoint of the dataset from SSMS then i ran the script that was used to create role on the cube deployed to AAS. In that CUSTOMDATA() dynamic filter was used as part of RLS.

I'm not sure if the same functionality is supported for PowerBI premium.

Please advice.

Hi, @Anonymous 

PBI dateset function doesn't distinguish premium and shared capacity. What's the data source of your dataset and what's the connection mode? 

You need to click the button to change the connecion mode to dq.

vjaneygmsft_0-1624871116768.png

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Earlier we were using AAS cube with live connection. Now i have migrate the same database to PowerBI premium dataset using the tabular editor.

From the report i'm connecting to this Power BI dataset with live connection . I cant find option to change that to DQ

sarthaks_0-1624875800745.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

If it is an LC mode dataset, it is not possible to manage the role in the desktop, and it needs to be built in the model. 

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors