Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS vs Report vs Dataset security/permission

I have followed this tutorial and set RLS for my users, however, I am not sure how to accomplish the below step from the tutorial (have not done the below step):

Fig:1_I did not do this step which is required according to the above tutorial.

Sichanm_0-1617227985878.png

so, my RLS looks like this:

Fig:2_RLS as it appears,

Sichanm_0-1617241856353.png

but my users are not able to see the report. So, as a test, for one of my users (shown by red as Ro... on), I added her to the dataset and the report as shown by Fig 3 and 4:

Fig:3_At the dataset level (please note there are no more users except than me and Ro..n, although I had added many users to RLS)

Sichanm_0-1617243885838.png

Fig:4_At the report level:

Sichanm_0-1617243995917.png

Only after doing the above three steps, she was able to see the report for the "AHP" filter in RLS.

She was not receiving any error, but she was not able to see the shared dashboard in the "Shared with me" section.

when I select "Test as role" and select another user such as J....am at the RLS, the dashboard seems fine as shown below (i.e. no error or blank page as shown):

Sichanm_1-1617243578326.png

However, as shown in Fig 3 and 4, none of the users (i.e J..am and the rest) who are in RLS (Fig 2) , are not shown in Fig 3 or Fig 4 (except that Ro..on who I added manually to the dataset and report as explained earlier).

Belows are what J..am sees in the "Shared with me" Section, although he must have accesd to this report (i.e. Infrastructure dashboard) based on the RLS (as I have added him to the RLS) at least in theory and based on the MS tutorial.

Sichanm_0-1617246177452.png

and nothing in his (J..am) workspace as well

Sichanm_1-1617246216401.png

I am confused about what should be done after adding users to RLS as my users do not have access to the reports.

Do I need to add all of my users to Report and Dataset as well as the RLS? Is there an efficient way to do it at once? rather than adding users to each part (i.e. RLS, report, dataset)?

Another question,

My user, R..n can only share the report and she cannot edit/build a new one, although she has the build permission, Am I missing something here?

Is there a need for more screenshots/explanations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

This video was helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAePfbGOEQE

So after creating RLS, I have to share the report also, by doing so, I share the dataset too. This is the order of steps that must be done, creating a group in office 365 will make this easier as suggested in the video. By only setting the RLS, users cannot see the dashboard, since it is required to share the dashboard with them too. So this is the standard practice. Thanks @aj1973  for your time and consideration

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This video was helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAePfbGOEQE

So after creating RLS, I have to share the report also, by doing so, I share the dataset too. This is the order of steps that must be done, creating a group in office 365 will make this easier as suggested in the video. By only setting the RLS, users cannot see the dashboard, since it is required to share the dashboard with them too. So this is the standard practice. Thanks @aj1973  for your time and consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @aj1973 , I did the RLS but they didn't have access yet, so for one of them, I had to add them to the report abd database to enable her to see the report, but not sure why I dad to add her to the database and report, 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

What do you mean by ad her to the db? What message she receives? Did you try to view the RLS in the desktop before publishing it to the service?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @aj1973 , I have updated my question with some corrections and a new screenshot. Is it clear now? Apologies for using the wrong terminology (database instead of the dataset).

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

I still didn't understand "you added her to a database " did you mean the dataset? 

To answer your question : sometimes it is better to repeat actions in a clean way than' copy/paste 'type a thing... so I suggest to do the same thing for the rest of the group. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

The members of the RLS need to be added here

aj1973_0-1617228879310.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors