Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

btodres
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS - strange behavior

It seems that if I setup RLS for ANY user who I give access to a dashboard, then I need to also setup RLS for ALL other users, even if I don't secure anything for those otehr users, otherwise the dashboards that I share with a user who I havent setup RLS for can no longer see any visuals within a dashborad report.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

One other note on this, I did notice that when I did the RLS thing with a user, while I did not test a different user other than myself, I was able to see everything and was not setup in a specific role of any kind, so it must not extend to the owner of the data set.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, it is still Preview technically. And, no "wildcard". To a certain degree this makes sense. You might want to create a custom column in your dataset that is essentially:

RLS = 1

Then you could setup your RLS for all of your other users to just be:

Table[RLS] = 1

Essentially, create your own global wildcard for "everything"

Latest book!:

thx, for your reply.  I found that all I have to do is add the user name of anyone i shared a dashboard with in a new RLS Role and not include any rules for those users and they can then see and interact with any dashboards I shared with them.  The other users who I do want to have various RLS rules enabled are not impacted.

Very cool, thanks for the update. One other thing that I have found, and they warn you about it when you setup RLS, is that if you are using a Desktop file and republish, it blows away your RLS. Assuming this will be fixed before it gets out of preview.

Latest book!:

ewww... That is really good to know.

Thanks @Greg_Deckler

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors