Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS (row level security ) app

Hi, 

I have made RLS for departments, so some users can only see specific departments.

I wonder if users who are not included/defined in the RLS, but have access/permission to the APP (only app permission not workspace access), can see all the data in the report?

I have a case that a user who is not defined in RLS gets the message visuals containing restricted data.

Coan7_0-1614327462273.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It depends.  It depends on how you implemented RLS. It depends on where RLS is applied in the data model, and what the rules are.

In your case RLS seems to cover the entire data model which leads to the sub-optimal user experience for the non-RLS user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It depends.  It depends on how you implemented RLS. It depends on where RLS is applied in the data model, and what the rules are.

In your case RLS seems to cover the entire data model which leads to the sub-optimal user experience for the non-RLS user.

Thanks for the answer: under the following assumptions, how can I test what the final experience will look like?

- RLS specified in the data set

- One or more reports in the same workspace, sharing a common dataset

- Premium by capacity workspace

- Published app

- Users added to the app and not directly to the workspace

In the workspace, select dataset security , then the ellipsis next to a role and "test as role" .

Or have  a real user access the app and show you what they can see and what they cannot see.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors