Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS on Pro only App sharing with Free Users viewers

Hi,

I am using Row Level Security with my report and I am sharing it into an App. I understand that for the Free Users to view the report and make the RLS work, the Workspace should be in a dedicated Capacity. I only have a Pro license therefore dedicated Capacity is not an option for me. I am Embedding the report in Sharepoint online site. When I let the viewers access the sharepoint online site with my report, they get an error saying This content is not available.

Here are my settings:

Published the report in an App in power bi Service.

In the workspace, I added the viewer as a Member who can only view the content.

The App has Entire Organization access.

In the Sharepoint online site, the viewer is a member who has read only access.

Is there a way for me to share my report that has RLS to the free users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

When I let the viewers access the sharepoint online site with my report, they get an error saying This content is not available.

Users viewing a report in SharePoint need either a Power BI Pro license or the content needs to be in a workspace that's in a Power BI Premium capacity (EM or P SKU).

Currently, even you add a free user to a classic app workspace. The user cannot view anything. So Pro license is required here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

When I let the viewers access the sharepoint online site with my report, they get an error saying This content is not available.

Users viewing a report in SharePoint need either a Power BI Pro license or the content needs to be in a workspace that's in a Power BI Premium capacity (EM or P SKU).

Currently, even you add a free user to a classic app workspace. The user cannot view anything. So Pro license is required here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello @v-frfei-msft 

I am working on something similar and running into issues. Here are the details:

We have a premium dedicated capacity. The reports are published to this capacity. I have created a role in PowerBI desktop and used UserPrincipalName() and when I am viewing as a role in the Desktop, it is displaying the right filtered data. However, when I am publishing the report to SharePoint online and embedding the report, the end users are not seeing the filtered data, They are actually seeing everything. Can you please look into this?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue. I don't think there is a solution to it. Every post I search with a similar issue either doesn't have a response or they say the free users need pro lisences (even if we have premium wokspace and publish the reports in capacity etc.).

Any update on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors