Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lorelai
Frequent Visitor

RLS not working in new workspaces (preview)

Hi all,

I have created a new workspace (with no O365 group associated) and I have deployed a report that has RLS implemented into an old workspace and the new workspace. 

This is the behavior in the normal/old workspace:

BehaviorInOldWorkspace.png

Permissions:OldWorkspace.png

Behavior in new workspace:

BehaviorInNewWorkspace.pngNewWorkspace.png

Any help to make the new workspace to enforce RLS is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
vvundavalli

Hi Team,

Has anyone found out the solution to this issue.
I have switched from CLASSIC to upgraded workspace and RLS is not working and am unable to resolve this error. 

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vishnu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this still not working? 

Kind of screwed up the entire setup at my organisation. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

Kind regards,
Vladimir

Hi Vladimir , 

This is the last that I heard from Microsoft regarding a ticket I sumbitted on this matter.

CapturaRLS.PNG

Read only role comes out when V2 workspaces are GA.  They are not GA yet.  They had the read only in the beginning but I reported to them that when you use a cube, we always had to use Edit in V1 and same is true in V2 so the end users could run reports based off live connections to cubes.  It would never run with read.  So they removed it back in 2018 from being shown as it wasn't working.  They mention in a lot of blogs it will be available and working in GA, but not in public preview.  They claimed it would be April 2019, but I am sure that means April 30th, 2019 so they have the most time available.

V2 Workspaces went GA last Friday, April 4th!  Check out the read role!

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Lorelai,

Based on my research, If you have configured the app workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

You could refer to below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-app-workspaces-in-power-b...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

I totally understand what you said, the thing is that in this new kind of workspace there is no such option. 

Let's take a look at the following images:

- The first one shows the edit workspace window for an app workspace created using O365 Groups. In the Privacy section, one can must decide if members member can have view or edit permissions.

- The second one shows the "workspace access" section for a new workspace created without O365 groups. In this section there is no option where one can decide between view or edit permissions. 

Members can only view...Members can only view...Admin / Contributor / MemberAdmin / Contributor / Member

Thanks!

Hi,

I did the same test on my side and have the same behavior. Hope it will work in a future version.

Hi everyone,

I reported an issue via technical support, here the response I got from the product team:

RLSIssue.png

When will this new role be out?  See I don't like that they force you into new workspaces, but don't provide at least the same level of functionality.  I am ok with having this out there, but not forced.  If you don't have that extra role, and we use RLS, and it works today with O365, but we need a new workspace and can't create one in the old way, what are we going to do in the meantime...kind of ridiculous how this was handled.  Keep the old way until the new way is PROVEN.

What did Microsoft say when the next role will be out? I swore they said it would be by Oct...getting to the end of Oct...

Has anyone came across an update for this thread?

I'm testing out implementing RLS with the new Workspace feature that is still in preview, and still can't get RLS to work as there is not a read-only permission setting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors