Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kloris_lmm

RLS issue in dataset sharing

Hi everyone, I'm encountering issues with the permissions. I shared the datasets to some users to only have access to review the report, however after adding the users can only see blank frames in the reports. Please help with the RLS issue.

In addition, 1 of my reports shows below info but I don't know how to action. Please will you guide me, thanks!

Row-Level Security
RLS has moved to Power BI Desktop

Any previously defined RLS security is no longer working. You will need to re-create RLS in Power BI Desktop.

In the Power BI Service, you can add members to roles you create.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kloris_lmm 

You first have to configure the RLS via the Manage Roles in PBI Desktop, where you define the filters on which user can see what.

And then once you have uploaded the PBIX to the PBI Service, you then need to go into the Dataset, then Security and add users/groups to those roles to restrict them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kloris_lmm ,

The reason for the above problem may be that when the RLS rule is set, the content permission assigned to the corresponding user to view the data is empty. Therefore, you first need to check whether the rules set by the specific Role are correct. Then republish the file to service, In the Power BI service, you can add a member to the role by typing in the email address or name of the user or security group. For details, please refer to the operation steps given in the official website document.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618974461629.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618974488012.png

Here is the reference document link.Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Let me know the result immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kloris_lmm ,

The reason for the above problem may be that when the RLS rule is set, the content permission assigned to the corresponding user to view the data is empty. Therefore, you first need to check whether the rules set by the specific Role are correct. Then republish the file to service, In the Power BI service, you can add a member to the role by typing in the email address or name of the user or security group. For details, please refer to the operation steps given in the official website document.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618974461629.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618974488012.png

Here is the reference document link.Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Let me know the result immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kloris_lmm 

You first have to configure the RLS via the Manage Roles in PBI Desktop, where you define the filters on which user can see what.

And then once you have uploaded the PBIX to the PBI Service, you then need to go into the Dataset, then Security and add users/groups to those roles to restrict them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

tchristy99
Helper II
Helper II

tchristy99_0-1618863963345.png

RLS is controlled in Power BI desktop under the modeling tab.

tchristy99_1-1618864037935.png

When you click on Manage roles, you will be able to see any roles you have and what tables have filters on them for that role.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors