Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EggDev
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS is not applied to .odc file from Analyse in Excel

I have set RLS on a dataset. The dataset of the report is some web content from sharepoint. 
For some roles the users are not allowed to see data of a certain segment. 
I have logged in their account and verified that the RLS has been successfully applied, and the users cannot see the restricted segment in report. 

However, when the user download the .odc file from "Analyse in Excel", they are able to see data from the restricted segment. 

This is not desirable as we don't want the user to be able to access the restricted data. 

Is this a bug or is this an expected behaviour? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EggDev ,

Based on my test, the RLS is also working in Analyze in Excel feature. Please check if all steps to define RLS are the same as mentioned in this article: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI (Preview).

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply @v-frfei-msft !

I have verified that within Power BI service, the report the user is seeing has the correct RLS applied. 
Does this implies I have defined the RLS correctly? 

Actually for users of different roles, would they download the same .odc file or would the file be different for users of different roles? 
I noticed that the .odc file for different roles are actually the same. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors