Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nigelreilly
Helper I
Helper I

RLS in Paginated Reports - User cannot view

Hi,

I have a dataset in Power BI which has RLS rules within in it. The RLS works fine for users.

I have now created a connection to that Power BI dataset within Paginated reports. When I publish my Paginated Report to the Power BI app (the same app with the desktop rls report) the user under the RLS can not open it. I am able to run the report as I am a member of the workspace therefore RLS is ignored. The user is a member of the published App.

This is the error they see: Can anyone help?error.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Make sure you provide Build permission to the users for the underlying dataset - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-embedded-data-source

View solution in original post

chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

FYI, we're shipping this week the changes to permissions to align paginated reports with Power BI reports for all scenarios.  Customers should no longer require "Build" permission when the items are in the same workspace or deployed in an app, and can use the new viewer role same as PBI reports can.  This will show up in tenants later this week or over the weekend.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisfin but this still does not work with or without "build" permission. completely stuck for RLS users (users with Viewer permission in App). please help.

Great news.

Thanks Chris & Paginated Bear!

chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Make sure you provide Build permission to the users for the underlying dataset - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-embedded-data-source

chrisu
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@chrisfin Is there any plan to remove the "build" permission requirement to view paginated reports that use Power BI datasets?

I am trying to hide or otherwise disable access to all of the fields in a dataset but still use RLS in both a regular and paginated report. 

Is there an alternative way to accomplish this?  I can't seem to access hidden fields in Report Builder, so it seems like they must be made available to those I share the report with.  This isn't the case with the regular pbix report--RLS and viewing works just fine with read.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. Have given App(Build) access to the AD groups. Still keep getting this error.

I am also facing same issue. Have given App(Build) access to the AD groups. Then too getting this error.

Could you try giving individual users access vs. the AD groups?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisfin  No, it still does not work with individual member access. This is what I have been trying to do 

(i) There is a paginated report that connects to PowerBI Dataset, both paginated report and PowerBi dataset in a premium workspace.

(ii) There is a PowerBI report as well that connects to the same PowerBI Dataset in the same workspace. (This works)

(iii) The dataset, PowerBI Report, and the paginated report are published to the App.

(iv) For an individual user who is not a member of the workspace, I have given build, read, share permissions to the dataset. 

(v) When the individual member tries to access the paginated report from App, they get this error.

(vi) If I add them to the workspace, they are able to access the report in the App without issues.

The issue is with paginated reports connecting to Shared PowerBI dataset published to the App. Please let me know if any further details will help.

We've looked at this and can't repro the issue - can you file a support case so it can be looked at by them and see if there's something we're missing?

@chrisfinHi, I have a similar issue. The premium workspace admin has given build permissions for me to the PowerBI dataset. When I try to connect from Report builder to the powerbi dataset , i get the error saying " The specified Power BI workspace is not found." Am not a memeber or admin in the premium workspace. Please advise.

PowerbiDatasetPaginatedreportissue.PNG

@chrisfin wrote:

We've looked at this and can't repro the issue - can you file a support case so it can be looked at by them and see if there's something we're missing?

Can you try connecting using the Power BI dataset dialog vs. using the XMLA endpoint via an Analysis Services connection?  I have seen a similar message, and it isn't related to build permission but rather some quirks with the XMLA endpoint.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisfin Tried both with direct Power BI dataset (shared and promoted) and Analysis Service connection to Power BI dataset giving the same error message irrespective of the build permission. completely stuck for RLS users. please help.

I have tried giving access to users individually but, until we give them access to workspace, they won't be able to view the Reports. Also we have 300 users, which would be difficult for us in giving the user access individually in the workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors