Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

RLS in Opportunity and Account (CRM)

Hi Team,

I need to filter Data in Opportunity using RLS based on its role.

user: tesuser1

Business Unit :  Group1

RLS : domainname = username()

*Group1 may contain more than 1 user

Requirement: (need to satisfy both requirements)

Opportunity Data where business unit is business unit log in user

Opportunity Data where Parent Account Owner is login user

I only created the first requirement using

SystemUser --> Business Unit (get business unit) ---> Opportunity

My problem is 2nd Requirement because in RLS, Union and Merge is not working (regardless who is the user)

*already tried

SystemUser --> Business Unit (get business unit) ---> Opportunity (Id) 

SystemUser --> Account ---> Opportunity (Id), then merge both or new table then UNION

Please advice.

123.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

@v-shex-msft

I was able to resolved the problem using  Manage Role, which create another problem.

Level 1: see all data (no problem)

Level 2:  Same with Level 3 but Business Unit will get the Parent and Child

Level 3: Resolve (below)

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

@v-shex-msft

I was able to resolved the problem using  Manage Role, which create another problem.

Level 1: see all data (no problem)

Level 2:  Same with Level 3 but Business Unit will get the Parent and Child

Level 3: Resolve (below)

Capture.JPG

rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

I think you misunderstand my question, because in that relationship I only got business unit to filter Opportunity but Im missing Opportunity Parent  Account Owner is login user.

Currently What Im getting;

Opportunity where Business Unit is Business Unit of Login User.

What I need;

Opportunity where Business Unit is Business Unit of Login User  +

Oppurtunity where Parent Account Owner is Login User 

Hi @rommel20,

So when current user is the manager, you need to load current data and child data, right?

If this is a case, you can take a look at below sample:

Sample tables.

3.PNG

4.PNG

RLS formula: if current user is sales manager, filter on sales manager column, else filter on salesman column

if(
ISERROR(SEARCH("SalesManager", [Role]))=FALSE(),
[SalesManager]=LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet2[User],Sheet2[Login],USERNAME())
[SalesMan]=LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet2[User],Sheet2[Login],USERNAME())
)

5.PNG

Result:

6.PNG

Notice: based on setting, I am the 'salesManager1', so I will get all records of salemanger1.

For you scenario, you need to use 'or' to link two part of formulas to filter both 'user' column and 'parent' column.(If current table not contains parent column, you should add it first)

Sample:

OR([User]=LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet2[User],Sheet2[Login],USERNAME()),
[Parent]=LOOKUPVALUE(Sheet2[User],Sheet2[Login],USERNAME()))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I have created several reports using similar security models derived from CRM.
To accomplish your requirement I have used another approach which works fine.

I always try to create a table that is called secUserOpportunity. This table has two (or more to make it readable) columns: UserEmail (WindowsLiveID)and OpportunityId. Each row shows the user and the opportunity that he is allowed to see. In your case, this could consist duplicate rows. Next thing you have to do is creating a relationship between this table and the opportunity table. The DAX filter on secUserOpportunity table would be UserEmail = DAXUsername.

Using Join- and Union functions within Power Query (or in SQL I would recommend) should be do the trock to shape data from the systemuser, opportunity and businessunit enitity into the secUserOpportunity table.

If you need more help, please let me know.

@Rubenvw , I am using CRM as a source, I dont understand how you shape  data of system user, opportunity and businessunit?, how can include record with Parent Account owner?

rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

Yes, because in that relationship I only got business unit which filter for Opportunity Data. I am missing record where Parent Account Owner is login user.

HI @rommel20,

Maybe you can turn on the security filter option and try again.

10.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

@v-shex-msft and @Seth_C_Bauer 

regardless if I use both direction in system user and business unit, Im still getting the  1st requirements. 

HI @rommel20,

If you modify all bi-filter options of below relationships , does this issue still appears?

7.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rommel20,

As Eno1978 said, I'd like to suggest you can modify your bi filter direction option and try again.('single' filter option only works on one side)

4.PNG

In addtion, I think you should use distinct function to make sure this table not contians dulipate records.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng.

@rommel20 Have you tried making the relationship between businessunits and systemsusers bi-directional?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors