Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

RLS implementation in power BI dashboard

Dear,

I have a dashboard, that has got the data for the sales data, finance data etc. Please note that data is not joined, that means each has got different table in data modelling. I have added required tiles from each reports (sales, finance etc) to dashboard as my senior management want to see all in a single dashboard.

However, When I share this dashboard to sales guy, finance tiles are still visible with the blank data (As I have rule in place)

How would I implement a dashboard in such a way that when senior manager login he/she should be able to see all the tiles and for sales/fincace team login, they should see only the repsective tiles for their department (should not have any othe department tiles with blank data)

Br,

Shams

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you take a look at the below blog om how to create a group and implement dynamic RLS 

https://gqbi.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/power-bi-dynamic-row-level-security-things-you-need-to-know-to...

Thanks i meant to out that in my post above. As that is my blog post

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I think that you cannot currently do it in the way that you expect to. This is due to the nature of all tiles not being individually configurable.

What I would suggest is possibly creating seperate dashboards, and then when the users log in they would see the dashboard to which they have access to?

I know that it is a bit of a work around but as suggested by the other people who posted, there is potentially an idea to vote for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use USERNAME() function to achieve the expected results. For more information, you can view this blog post by Adam Saxton.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

RLSIssue.pngThanks @BhaveshPatel.

Please note that I have already implemented that (Created roles in model and published). But my issue is that when Sales team login they still get the tile without any data for finance tiles.that I dont want to happen. I want the dashboard tiles dynamically chnaging based on the user login,

Here each tile for a department, that means tile should be visible or hidden based on the user login not actually records.

As far as I know, This behaviour is not possible at the dashboard level, but you can create dynamic security in PowerBI Reports level using USERNAME() function. You can create new idea for this and I would definitely vote for it. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors