Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS - how to make it automated and avoid adding member of role in power bi service

Hi there!

Could you please help me sharing some knowledge on the following idea and let me know if this can be achieved or I am missing anything here.

**The Idea is to publish an app and provide access to all user within organization and the report should render respected relative results without having to manually add users to RLS Member/group on PowerBI Service.

-Manually adding users to RLS Member on PowerBI server is working as expected and the data is filtred according to the user login, but when the user (before adding to RLS Member on PowerBI Service) logs in then he can see the design layout but no views are displayed. (screenshot attached)
image.png

My dataset, modeling and RLS looks like below
Datasets and ModelingDatasets and ModelingManage RelationshipsManage Relationshipsimage.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

From your description, I think this should be the  correct work flow of RLS.

We need to add the members to the roles that you created in Power BI Service. 

However, if your data source is SSAS Tabular, you don't need to add members in Power BI Service, you should do that in SSAS.

For more details, you could have a reference of this article.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

From your description, I think this should be the  correct work flow of RLS.

We need to add the members to the roles that you created in Power BI Service. 

However, if your data source is SSAS Tabular, you don't need to add members in Power BI Service, you should do that in SSAS.

For more details, you could have a reference of this article.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors