Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mpgoggin
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS for datasets from multiple workspaces

Hello!

I have been struggling with the following issue around RLS. I am trying to set things up as follows.

- DATASET A with RLS in Workspace A 

- DATASET B with RLS in Workspace B

- REPORT in Workspace B built with Data from DATASETS A & B

DATASET A is pulled into the REPORT using GetData --> PowerBI Dataset 

For users with access limited by RLS, they cannot see the visuals in the report dependent on DATASET A

Is this a limitation related to the connection method? Could it be because connecting the powerBI dataset in this method doesn't allow for Import? If so, what is the preferred workaround? 

Thank you,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mpgoggin ,

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users.In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access. If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace.

If you want to cancel the RLS in dataset A, you need to calcel the rls in dateset A from DATASETS A & B. Then there would only rls in dateset B .

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mpgoggin ,

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users.In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access. If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace.

If you want to cancel the RLS in dataset A, you need to calcel the rls in dateset A from DATASETS A & B. Then there would only rls in dateset B .

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the background,

To confirm then, a successful RLS scenario would mean that the User has been granted Security to the Dataset AND Viewer access to the workspace that contains the dataset.

I was hoping there was a way to apply RLS without granting access to the workspace. In other words, just share the report. My understand now is that this scenario is infeasible.

Thanks again,

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors