Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS for Report Builders

Hello, 

I am having trouble implementing some RLS and was curious if the feature existed. I have a central repository of a single dataset with many reports built off it. My goal is to have both report readers and writers create content off that dataset. Report readers have been easy to set up with RLS working correctly but I am having trouble with report writers.

My security access is as follows: I have a Workspace which I am admin and every other user is Viewer. This workspace contains a single dataset from which to view reports or build reports off of. Dataset changes will be managed by me alone so readers of the dataset have view access and report writers have build access. For licensing sake, assume that workspace is in a Premium capacity.

I created RLS in Desktop filtered by geographic region (NORAM, EMEA, etc). I want report writers from region EMEA to view only EMEA data and not APAC or NORAM. However, RLS does not seem to be working as they have global access to all data in that dataset. I am thinking its a permission problem focused around this build permission and would like some more clarity if possible.

Is the above scenario even possible within Power BI without implementing RLS/CLS in SSAS first and DirectQuery the dataset? If so, how would one configure it for it to work?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Nope, it is impossible to achieve this. As the document said, RLS feature requires users not have edit permission for this dataset.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power-bi 

If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Nope, it is impossible to achieve this. As the document said, RLS feature requires users not have edit permission for this dataset.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power-bi 

If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  Do you know if the ability to restrict data access to those with edit permissions will be a future feature of Power BI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors