cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BishwaR
Helper V
Helper V

RLS for Paginated Report

I have a Pbix file with Dynamic RLS and it works fine in the workspaces but when I create a paginated report using the same dataset via power bi analysis service RLS does not work in the paginated report.

How can I use the dynamic RLS in the Paginated report?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BishwaR ,

Whether the advice given by @TomMartens  has solved your confusion, if the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @BishwaR ,

I'm wondering how you tested RLS with a "normal" Power BI report.

Down below, I will not refer to Power BI Desktop, instead I will refer to Power BI Service:
No matter, RLS will not be applied if users have the "Admin", "Member, or "Contributor" role assigned in the same workspace that hosts the dataset.

I tend to recommend the separation of data (the Power BI dataset(s)) and content (reports, dashboards, and paginated reports) across two workspaces. The separation of the data and the content requires the following dataset permissions assigned

• report creators (people who create (build) reports but do not change the dataset) - build permission
  • content consumers - read permission

It's important to understand that dataset permissions must be assigned to users who are not assigned to the workspace, basically, this is the idea of separating the content from the data. 

Elaborate, on how you test RLS, for paginated reports, also explain where the paginated report is located, the data workspace, and who is accessing the paginated report.
The role of the user inside the workspace that hosts the dataset.

The place where the paginated report is accessed, meaning from inside the workspace or the Power BI App.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
September Update

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the September 2022 updates!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 26

Check it Out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, September 29 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors