Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS doesn't work with subscription

Hi everybody , 

I am facing an issue with Power BI service subscription feature. I subscribed a viewer user to the report he received a screen shut but with entire data without RLS applied. The RLS works fine in the workspce as he tested and he see only the data that the RLS allow to him but using the subscription  seems that the RLS doesn't work.

Just for information : the user has a PRO FREE trial account and the administrator a PRO account ( not free trial) .can this affect the RLS on subscription or it is just a limitation on tis feature ? 

Thank you for helping 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to my research, when you use the Power BI report email subscriptions, if the dataset uses row-level security (RLS), you can create subscriptions for yourself and others. Those subscriptions will run using your security context.

v-robertq-msft_0-1620292166727.png

Therefore, the PRO FREE trial account won’t influence the RLS on subscription, it’s only because the RLS won’t work when the subscription owner has the edit access to this dataset.

More info about considerations for subscribing others

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rvallejo

Hi all,

I tried the subscription to reports and dashboards some days ago and I can confirm that RLS is not applied for receivers of this mails. The question is that RLS in fact is being applied but to the user who creates the subscription.

Honestly, in my opinion I think this is a big gap from PowerBI Service. From my point of view Power BI Service should let the creator of subcriptions to decide if wants to apply the RLS to him or to the recipients of these mails. This will let administrators of workspaces in Power BI creating some kind of alerts system, which will increase the use of Power BI all along the company.

In other hand, you can promote this feature by voting this idea here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=712a09d7-c0c5-ea11-bf21-281878e6280d

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to my research, when you use the Power BI report email subscriptions, if the dataset uses row-level security (RLS), you can create subscriptions for yourself and others. Those subscriptions will run using your security context.

v-robertq-msft_0-1620292166727.png

Therefore, the PRO FREE trial account won’t influence the RLS on subscription, it’s only because the RLS won’t work when the subscription owner has the edit access to this dataset.

More info about considerations for subscribing others

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ! it helps me. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

When a subscription email is sent out for other users, it uses the permissions of the user who is sending out the subscription email.

What you need to do, is for this individual user to subscribe himself, this will then apply the RLS and let them view only the data they need to see.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for helping. I try this and it works . but the issue here is that we can't tell End user to subscribe them selves. May using a Power BI app will resolve the issue. so that they can have access to the reports through power BI app. developers can modify in Power BI app workspace and then publish or update the application

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors