Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RicLup
Helper III
Helper III

RLS doesn´t work in an specific workspace

Hi guys,

Hoping you ca help me, i have in a workspace my report published currently as production environment, the report has Dynamic RLS configured, I have been making test in desktop and works great, but when I test the role in service doesn´t work with some users.

The users have the viewer role but RLS is not applied.

In this workspace any reports with RLS that i publish doesn´t working

I create another Workspace with the same configuration and reports and The RLS works great.

I don´t know if there some that i don´t considering in my production worksapce, or i need to change something.

My users have the viewer role, and they are watching all information. I would not like change my reports to other workspace where the RLS works perfect.

Any Ideas?, why in my production workspace RLS doesn´t work, but in other workspace with the same configuration and roles, here the RLS is applied. Im so confused.

Thanks for follow my topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RicLup
Helper III
Helper III

I had to create other workspace and migrate the reports, I think my problem was that the workspace was created since teams app and automatically take the users from teams app and Power BI assign the member role, I tried change the role to viewer and even remove the role by group and only leave individual roles as viewer, but doesn´t work.

I hope this be helpful to consider when work with a workspace created from teams app.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RicLup
Helper III
Helper III

I had to create other workspace and migrate the reports, I think my problem was that the workspace was created since teams app and automatically take the users from teams app and Power BI assign the member role, I tried change the role to viewer and even remove the role by group and only leave individual roles as viewer, but doesn´t work.

I hope this be helpful to consider when work with a workspace created from teams app.

Joorge_C
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi@RicLup  if you are using USERNAME() in power bi desktop or User principal, I know PBI service sometimes adds the rest of the Domain in email to the right. Perhaps adding the full  within your filtering RLS will help and may be whats missing.

That's not entirely accurate:

USERNAME()  will return the NT account domain\name on the desktop and the email on the service.  Do not use!

USERPRINCIPALNAME() returns the email in both environments. 

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RicLup ,

I also tested and did not reproduce your issue. Based on your description, you have set the user as the viewer. Are you using app workspace or classic workspace? Is the issue a coincidence or is it always there?

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

RLS does not work for any workspace members with Edit permissions and higher.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors