Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PC20
Frequent Visitor

RLS doesn't update with changes in workspace access

I created a new workspace and provided Viewer access to a UserA. 

Created a Dynamic Role in Power BI and published to this workspace.

RLS works as expected, filtering data.

I changed the UserA access to Member. But, RLS is still applied. Whereas, as per documentation UserA should be able to see the whole data.

I have tried refreshing the reports, dataset, using Incognito modes, deleteing and publishing report and datasets.

But RLS doesn't affect with changes in access to a workspace.

The only thing that works is if I delete & create the workspace again.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @PC20 ,

I would like to confirm with you that you are using the view as role feature of RLS to test the data that this user's RLS can see?

If so, according to my testing and research on the view as role feature of RLS, I believe that the problem you are experiencing is a backend logic of the "Test as role" feature.

The most common problem when administrators simulate other users is that the simulated user's permissions are out of date. power BI maintains a cache of valid user permissions, which are kept up to date by background jobs. Permission refresh jobs are typically scheduled once an hour for each user. However, if a user has not been active in Power BI for a period of time (or if they have never used Power BI), such jobs will hang until the user logs in again (to reduce the load on the system). This can cause the simulation function to use outdated permissions and display a view of the data that does not match the view of the data seen when the simulated user logs in."

This is a background operation of Power BI to optimize the maintenance of user rights cache to consume server resources, and only through the "test as role" simulation test process, will not actually cause data leakage, after the user login data in theory will be normal according to the configuration of the corresponding data display.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yangliu-msft . This makes sense. I was wondering that this could be a cache issue, but was unable to figure out the details.
Is there any documentation regarding these Refresh Jobs? And any workaround to avoid this?
Re-creating a workspace and re-publishing seems tedious and unnecessary.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors