Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

crisher
Helper I
Helper I

RLS and Viewer and Member Permissions in New Workspace

We have a workspace that was recently updated. Inside this workspace, we have a Power BI dataset with RLS. The primary use cases for this dataset is two-fold:

1. Users consume the pre-built report with their filter context applied. 
  2. Users utilize "Analyze in Excel" to build additional Pivot Table reports based on the data set.

This is what we have noticed...

1. When the users are set as a Member of the workspace, the RLS is pretty much ignored completely, and they see the data with all records.
  2. When the users are set to Viewer, the RLS works properly, but then they are not able to use "Analyze in Excel".

I understand the permissions requirement around not allowing "Viewers" access to "Analyze in Excel". That is by design. However, what are we missing about the new workspaces that have caused us not to be able to achieve both of these results? We have confirmed that the RLS is in place correctly.

Thank you! 

7 REPLIES 7
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@crisher,

to not let you test everything, as @GilbertQ mentioned, you have to give the users the Build permission, as mentioned here per the requirements of Analyze in Excel.

You can do that in the App as GilbertQ mentions, or directly on the dataset, have a look at Ways to give build permission.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

crisher
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks, everyone! I will give these a try and report back.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @crisher 

You are correct that the users who are members will be able to see all the data.

What happens in the App where you put a tick for building on this dataset?

GilbertQ_0-1612907805262.png

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ I specifically tested with a user and giving them build permissions on top of the Viewer permissions did not fix the issue.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @crisher

Go to back to your desktop and set this up

aj1973_0-1612908078438.png

Then republish your report.

It should work fine, I tested it.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

@aj1973 I downloaded the data set and confirmed that this setting was already selected.

crisher_0-1613503180363.png

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @crisher ,

You might be having a couple of things at odds in the setup.  If you have configured a workspace so that members have edit permissions then RLS won't be applied to that user.  If you are allowing folks to get to the entire data set then you are specifically trying to NOT use RLS - because you are allowing them to get to the ENTIRE dataset.  

It sounds like you might be trying to restrict some actions based on a report and not the entire workspace.  You could try to put the report into a specific workspace with limited permissions and then share that with RLS.  

This would allow you to share the report such that the users could use Export To Excel based on what they see, and not based on the entire dataset.  You might also have to adjust the security groups that you allow to Export in the Power BI Admin Portal.

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors