Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GURUPRASADB
Helper I
Helper I

RLS and Shared Dataset

Hi All,

I have dataset1 with RLS in workspace1 and I have created report 1 in Workspace2 and published to app2.

I have given permissions to people in Dataset1 to access, they are able to access dataset and build report.

Users are getting following error when they access thru apps2

"This visual contains restricted data
To view this visual, contact the dataset owner to request access to the data behind it"

Please help me how to solve this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GURUPRASADB ,

After my testing, adding the user as the viewer of the workspace,they can view the report.test_rls.PNGtest_rls_2.PNG

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GURUPRASADB ,

You need to add you collguage to workspace members so that he/she can see the report in this workspace.

Is the Row-level security applied in your reports? if the members are not in the roles, then they cannot see the report although they have been granted Read and Reshare permissions.
In addition, what is the license of these users that cannot see the content you shared.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

1. Workspace access is only for Admins, users will not have access to Workspace.
  2. They are accessing reports via Apps,
  3. Users in both the Apps Workspace1 and 2 have access.
  4. Workspaces are in PowerBI Premium tier.
  5.  Members are included in Roles. 
  6. I tried publishing in same Workspace users users still can't see data using RLS. They are able to see report not data in any visuals. 
  7. Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Hi @GURUPRASADB ,

Have you checked that your file correctly applies the RLS rules? If not, all users with viewer rights will not be able to view any data.

Please try to view data in other roles in desktop or service.

Best Regards,
Liang

Hi,

RLS rules are working properly when I test it. When use access it he is getting error as not having access. 

Access.JPGSecurity.JPGPNL.JPG

Hi @GURUPRASADB ,

After my testing, adding the user as the viewer of the workspace,they can view the report.test_rls.PNGtest_rls_2.PNG

Best Regards,
Liang

Hi,

Its working now, Thanks a lot for providing me solution.

KBO
MVP

Hi @GURUPRASADB ,

If the dataset1 is created in workspace1 - the data is stored in workspace1. If you create a report in workspace2 with the data from workspace1, I guess only the people who have access to workspace1 and 2 are able to build reports on it (if the have the right permissions).

If you build a app on it it's the same - only you switch the permissons on the app to organizational than its organizational. If the app is build on the workspace where the data is stored.

Best Kathrin,

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have given build and reshare permission from app to dataset in Workspace1. I do not see that option in Shared dataset in Workspace2.   

Capture1.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors