cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darentengdrake Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

RLS and Export Underlying Data

Hi,

I have created an RLS that disables some users from viewing a measure (which is made out of 2 columns) in a chart. However, when the person exports underlying data, they are able to see the 2 columns, even if they could not see the measure, which defeats the purpose of RLS in the first place. However, if I add another feature that disables them from seeing the 2 columns, other calculations made from the 2 columns will be unavailable.

E.g.

• Measure A uses Column 1 Column 2. RLS prevents some users from seeing Measure A, but when exporting underlying data, Column 1 and Column 2 is visible, which is not wanted
  • Measure B uses Column 1 Column 2 and Column 3.
  • If another RLS is written to prevent people from seeing Column 1 and Column 2, Measure B will be incorrect

Is there a way just to make the 2 columns invisible in RLS, even when exporting underlying data, but the data is still taken into all other calculations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: RLS and Export Underlying Data

Hi @darentengdrake 

That's the limiatation of RLS. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls#faq

001.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

I'm pretty sure your are out of luck on this one. 

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @darentengdrake 

That's the limiatation of RLS. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-rls#faq

001.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 336 members 3,828 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: