Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Laurent_Huon
Frequent Visitor

RLS and Data Source Proliferation

My post is for deployment expert in a large company.

My purpose : Provide a self-service on Power BI Services in a direct query mode with RLS applicated and without to duplicate the data source. Self-Service = provide the hability the design report for users on a pre-built data source managed by IT. NB : It's not for viewer users where I can use the applications.

1st Solution "RLS centric" : Use content pack to provide RLS data source to users. The RLS are applicated. Good point. Disadvantage : Copy of data source and many problem for new version of the data set (rebuild the report...).

2nd Solution "Data Source Centric" : In order to avoid proliferation of data source, usage of a workspace where all users have rights to create their own reports on pre-build and pre-publish datasets. Alternative : Use "Power BI dataset" in PB desktop. Disadvantage : No RLS (workspace and PBI Dataset too) and everybody can see and modify reports (only workspace). 

Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve this "quadrature" ?

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Laurent_Huon,

"My purpose : Provide a self-service on Power BI Services in a direct query mode with RLS applicated and without to duplicate the data source. Self-Service = provide the hability the design report for users on a pre-built data source managed by IT. NB : It's not for viewer users where I can use the applications."

<--- Members who can edit the report when they are assigned as an admin. In addtion, RLS doesn't take effect on an admin. Members can only see the content they are assigned unless they make a copy of that content pack. The 1st solution seems to be work.

Regards.

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors