Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

delaclqm
Regular Visitor

RLS Test As Role shows different for user

Hello all, 

So I have run into a very odd issue that I cannot seem to figure out. So I manage the dashboards for my company and within the company, we have implemented RLS for each sales person's region that way they can only see their own sales metrics. It has been working very well for some time now, but now I have run into the issue where one of the sales people have data missing from their RLS view, but when I use the "Test as Role" for his territory on the Power BI Desktop app and on the Power BI service, all the proper data shows up.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but when I test as his security role, I should see exactly the same dataset as he sees from his account, correct? We have over 20 sales people which means we have over 20 roles set which are set using security groups that are set in our AD (I will however be migrating to setup roles based on username, but there need to be changes implemented on our local servers before that can be implented).

Below are screenshots of what the user sees on his end vs what I see when I test as his role. Has anyone else run into this issue/know how to solve it?

Please note, I have blocked some data using boxes in order to keep company data confidential, but please look at the red boxes and the last couple digits of the data to verify what data is the same and what is different.

My View: 

My View of the RLS RolesWhat I see testing as user's role

What the User Sees...

What the user sees on the Power BI service

7 REPLIES 7
JanaP
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @GilbertQ 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I have several users with row level security and as far as I know the actual restriction of data seen is working. I have now requested all with restrictions to give me samples to check - I inherited this system, so diving into it. 

This particular user cannot see all filtered data, i.e. say you have category colour with 5 colours they should see, they only sees 4... It looks as if another restrictions has been added on between the .pbix file and displaying in the app. 

I am checking the same updates, date ranges, all filters are same...

Thank you for your time.

Jana

JanaP
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @GilbertQ 

Did you ever get to fidn a solution to this problem? I have a similar problem when one of my users is seeing different data to whe they should be seeing.

Thank you,

Jana

Hi @JanaP 

Can you test them using the Roles in the Power BI Service to make sure that your RLS is working as expected?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you make sure that the user you assigned to the role is the same user account that is being logged in?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ 

Yes, I know for a fact it is the same user, which is what has me so confused.

What if you remove the user and then add them again to both the RLS and App?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ 

Yes I tried both of those and still no luck, I am just going to submit a support ticket to Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors