cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carlol
Helper III
Helper III

RLS Security bypass?

I have a Report model based on imported data, it contains all countries ,I need to restrict the dataset to specific countries for User X

Row level security appears to be a good option , define the role in the PBIX with the DAX filter, assign the User in PowerBi service

Question: Some users are competant with powerBI desktop, Can the User download the PBIX from PowerBi service , have full access to the data contained in the PBIX (They can remove the RLS security)

Is it best practice to have a direct query vs imported data to ensure the dataset is protected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nandukrishnavs
Community Champion
Community Champion

@carlol 

If you are planning to add users to the workspace, then provide viewer role to all the end-users. So, they will not be able to download the pbix file. Also, please note, RLS will not work if the users have edit access (Member/Contributor/Admin).

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos 👍

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nandukrishnavs
Community Champion
Community Champion

@carlol 

If you are planning to add users to the workspace, then provide viewer role to all the end-users. So, they will not be able to download the pbix file. Also, please note, RLS will not work if the users have edit access (Member/Contributor/Admin).

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos 👍

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors