Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jl20
Helper IV
Helper IV

RLS Question

Hi all,

I have a report that I am posting to two dashboards within the same workspace. I need some help configuring the RLS settings.

Dashboard A - All Management has access. The report is in its unfiltered form.

Dashboard B - Only a subset of All Management, let's call them Group X, have access. I want to filter the report so that when Group X logs in, they only see a filtered report based on the criteria I specify.

My question is: For the users in All Management AND Group X, which security filter will apply (i.e., if a user is in Group X will they see the whole thing or will the report be filtered)?

Given that the report is manually refreshed weekly, I'd like to set it up so that I'm only dealing with one report, and not having to post a distinct PBIX file for each dashboard.

Any insight would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdobrzen
Advocate II
Advocate II

I asked myself a similar question a few weeks back and provide my findings from some testing I performed.

If one security role has RLS logic and the other does not, the users belonging to both will see everything.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/RLS-cumulative-security/m-p/353714/highlight/true#M39624

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jdobrzen
Advocate II
Advocate II

I asked myself a similar question a few weeks back and provide my findings from some testing I performed.

If one security role has RLS logic and the other does not, the users belonging to both will see everything.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/RLS-cumulative-security/m-p/353714/highlight/true#M39624

yes that is correct.

Tadder
Helper II
Helper II

In my experience if a user is in two groups the LESS restrictive one gets assigned.  So this would work for Group A (Management).  For Group B you'd just have to set the criteria for what they can see and assign them.

Got it - so in this instance, it's probably just easier to post two separate reports with each filtered appropriately.

No, you can use one report with two roles.  The roles should allow users to see what they are authorized to see.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors