Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dludw0969
Frequent Visitor

RLS Question

Hi,  I'm new to RLS.  I've been testing this in power bi service and have gotten it to work just fine but I've noticed something that I'm not understanding .     If I created a RLS  role called PaseoRole  in my report and put the DAX expression for example   [Product] = "Paseo".   I publish the report to WORKSPACEA  and put  view rights for user3 and user 4 on the WORKSPACEA.  Then I assign only user3 to the PaseoRole.   

I would expect that :

1. user4 could see all the data of the report because he is not assigned to PaseoRole  
  2. user3 would see only the data that has true to the DAX expression ...where the product = Paseo

My findings are 

user 4 can not see the report at all gets error until I give him contributor rights to the WORKSPACEA ... then the report loads and sees all the data

user 3 is working as expectied with only the view rights 

Why does user4 have to have contributor rights to the workspace.

Thanks in advance.! 

Donna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to create an RLS role for people who have access to everything (e.g. user4), just don't put any DAX expressions in its definition.

Meanwhile any other workspace role than Viewer (i.e. Contributor and above) bypasses RLS entirely.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dludw0969
Frequent Visitor

Thank you otravers that worked,  appreciate the help!!

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to create an RLS role for people who have access to everything (e.g. user4), just don't put any DAX expressions in its definition.

Meanwhile any other workspace role than Viewer (i.e. Contributor and above) bypasses RLS entirely.

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors