Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

RLS: Power BI Publisher for Excel?

This blog entry discusses publishing Excel to PowerBI:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-publisher-for-excel/

However, what I am not clear on is row level security.

If I publish something that uses SSAS Tabular connection, will the Excel widget published run through security?

I know the Power BI report does, so if I have a list of Customers by Sales Rep and the way it works is when a Sales Rep opens the PowerBI report they only see their name and all their customers.... what happens with that Excel piece?

Does it also filter down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@OneWithQuestion

Yes, Excel will take Row Level Security. If you configure dynamic row level filter for users and share the dashboard to those users, they will only see their own data when "Connect to Data" via Publisher for Excel.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@OneWithQuestion

Yes, Excel will take Row Level Security. If you configure dynamic row level filter for users and share the dashboard to those users, they will only see their own data when "Connect to Data" via Publisher for Excel.

Regards,

To clarify, there is no way to "post" that Excel sheet in PowerBI right?

I can connect to a PowerBI data source, but if I want to open the Excel sheet and say pivot, refresh, etc... I have to open the worksheet itself there isn't a PowerBI hosted web interface, etc..?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors