Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spencercleaver
Regular Visitor

RLS - Multiple roles now having errors

Hi,

We are receiving this error now for individuals accessing reports that are in multiple security (RLS) roles.  We have had it setup this way for years and never had any issues.  One user was on and he said everything was working fine until midnight then all visuals gave errors and had the following message.  I have gone in and tested as other users and it appears all users in multiple roles are getting this error.  Any ideas what has happened to cause this/can I fix it?  Thank you!!!!

Couldn't load the data for this visual 

The query encountered security filters on a table relationship that cannot be reconciled for the current user. Please contact your administrator or developer to review role memberships and security definitions.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

spencercleaver_0-1642423025430.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Error isn't exactly the same but it sounds like it may be related to this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dashboard-with-multiple-RLS-roles-work-in-My-Workspace-but-...

Appears to have come

in from December release and is a problem if you have RLS and many to many relationships.

Microsoft are aware but no solution apart from redesigning your many to many relationships with a bridge table.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
spencercleaver
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick response!  Yes, that makes sense and likely is what's happening.  Is there a way to update the report to the November version and re-load?  

Is Microsoft attempting to fix the issue?

Afraid I've not seen any update. I see you've replied to the ticket so hopefully microsoft will reply!

Afraid the service itself has been updated. Eg you could load your report in Nov Desktop and it would work fine but if you publish from there you'll get issue in the service.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Great, thank you SO MUCH for your help and quick responses.  I really appreciate it.  We'll see if there are any updates from Microsoft.

Hi! Has there been any update from Microsoft with regard to your ticket?

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Error isn't exactly the same but it sounds like it may be related to this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dashboard-with-multiple-RLS-roles-work-in-My-Workspace-but-...

Appears to have come

in from December release and is a problem if you have RLS and many to many relationships.

Microsoft are aware but no solution apart from redesigning your many to many relationships with a bridge table.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

I am geeting Error While Setting the RLS 

VikcyD_0-1713475051482.png

can anyone help me out with this : 

VikcyD_0-1713475008173.png

So essentially a cannot have many to many joins on my fact table when having multiple roles in RLS selected?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors