cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Helper I
Helper I

RLS Issues after Scheduled Refresh

I have some static RLS set on a report, one of the roles is called 'All' which has no criteria. This is for Admin/Management who need to see all data. Other roles are set with specific restrictions per team or customer.

 

When testing the roles within Desktop they work perfectly. I published the dataset to Service, gave required people Read permissions to the dataset/report, then assigned them a RLS role within Security.

 

The report presents data as it should, perfect, or so I thought.

 

I have this dataset on scheduled refresh and started getting complaints about data being missing. On checking the report with the 'All' role I have some reports were completely blank, with others seemingly showing correctly. 

 

If I republish from desktop, the RLS works perfectly again, until another scheduled refresh. I have removed the gateway link to the datasource (PowerPoint) and recreated it, same issue.

 

Pulling my hair out here, anything obvious that I've missed/done incorrectly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, so it wasn't a RLS/Refresh issue after all, this is just when the problem presented itself.

 

My datasource has checkboxes, these show as true or false in my imported dataset but the data type was automatically decided as Text. When uploading to Service these True/False entries were changed to 0 or -1 meaning my slicers/filters didn't work.

 

Change the data type to True/False, published to Service and all now working ok.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Helper I
Helper I

In addition to the original post I've found a strange accompanying issue which may suggest why I think RLS isn't working.

 

I have the same 2 slicers on each page, they only seem to work on 1 of the pages!?

Ok, so it wasn't a RLS/Refresh issue after all, this is just when the problem presented itself.

 

My datasource has checkboxes, these show as true or false in my imported dataset but the data type was automatically decided as Text. When uploading to Service these True/False entries were changed to 0 or -1 meaning my slicers/filters didn't work.

 

Change the data type to True/False, published to Service and all now working ok.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors